125 Benefits Offered

Emichele0319

Very new here and need clarification: for a plan to fully qualify under 125 must an employer offer an alternative to taking the employer sponsored health plan(s)? Example: Employer requires all F/T employees (no exceptions for F/T employees) to participate in sponsored health care plan(s) (employer/employee share plan cost). I'm confused on whether there has to be an alternate choice for the employee (there are different plan choices - Kaiser/Blue Shield/Etc.) such as pay into health plan OR cash-in-lieu/some other taxable benefit? Thank you for any help! 

The essence of section 125 is a choice between a taxable benefit (cash compensation) and a nontaxable benefit (e.g. health coverage).  If there are different coverage choices, they probably have different employee premium requirements.  To the extent that a difference in the premium amounts may be reflected in the paycheck (taxable cash), there is some room for section 125 to operate, even in a mandatory coverage/payment arrangement, but you would not be looking at a traditional section 125 arrangement.

4 hours ago, Emichele0319 said:

Very new here and need clarification: for a plan to fully qualify under 125 must an employer offer an alternative to taking the employer sponsored health plan(s)? Example: Employer requires all F/T employees (no exceptions for F/T employees) to participate in sponsored health care plan(s) (employer/employee share plan cost). I'm confused on whether there has to be an alternate choice for the employee (there are different plan choices - Kaiser/Blue Shield/Etc.) such as pay into health plan OR cash-in-lieu/some other taxable benefit? Thank you for any help! 

An employer does not need to offer more than a single group health plan.  Does this answer your question?

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 12:57 PM, Emichele0319 said:

Emichele0319, agree with leevena, but will add that if the employer is not requiring the employees to pay all or part of the premium, there is no need for a 125 plan, because there is no choice between cash and nontaxable benefits. If the employer requires the employee to pay part of the premium, but does not give them a choice, I would want to know exactly how that operates before commenting further. I have not seen that and it has issues, I think.

Luke Bailey

Senior Counsel

Clark Hill PLC

214-651-4572 (O) | LBailey@clarkhill.com

2600 Dallas Parkway Suite 600

Frisco, TX 75034