DB Restatement deadline

AICPA is expecting a relief announcement this week, and  from what I understand the IRS has indicated that they will be lenient with "for cause" penalty forgiveness in areas with no formal relief.  I know we have requested relief on the retirement side as well, but I'm not sure if they will address general tax relief and pension relief at the the same time. 

23 minutes ago, Lou S. said:

ARA is requesting a 120 day extension of the deadline. I'd be surprised if it's not granted but who knows. As others have said  this is the government after all.

an extension is a no brainer.  plans aren't even submitted anymore.  if for no other reason give people one less thing to worry about in these trying times. 

I just deal in the facts of this event.  Lots of employers will be temporarily shuttered. Are you saying you can't see why they should based on what you think should happen or what is actually happening? 

My understanding is ABC and other lobbyist are working with Congress on relief.  They expect something to be passed before the Easter break.  They are talking about extending deadlines, as well as other interest rate and investment smoothing methods to lesson the funding impact on plan sponsors.  

Likely nothing in the next few days, but maybe in the next few weeks.

The material provided and the opinions expressed in this post are for general informational purposes only and should not be used or relied upon as the basis for any action or inaction. You should obtain appropriate tax, legal, or other professional advice.

Considering that whole states are being closed down, it may be a moot point.  One the economy is dead, plan assets will be worthless. Who cares if the plan is qualified at that point?

I carry stuff uphill for others who get all the glory.

Cue Mr. Blue Sky...

The material provided and the opinions expressed in this post are for general informational purposes only and should not be used or relied upon as the basis for any action or inaction. You should obtain appropriate tax, legal, or other professional advice.