Sign in to follow this  
sanchezmikea

International Union of Operating Engineers Health and Welfare Pension

I have been told if I take my retirement, earned over 40 years, that I cannot work in my craft in areas under Local 12 jurisdiction or I could lose my pension.

Is this true?

It's possible and likely. You wouldn't "lose" your pension but your payments would stop because you wouldn't be considered retired. They would resume when you again retired. Retirement meaning you are not working in any covered employment as defined by your union/plan.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CuseFan said:

It's possible and likely. You wouldn't "lose" your pension but your payments would stop because you wouldn't be considered retired. They would resume when you again retired. Retirement meaning you are not working in any covered employment as defined by your union/plan.

sanchezmikea, what CuseFan describes would be spelled out in a "suspension of benefits notice" that you would be required to receive if you went back to work in a union job that was covered by the union pension plan. But if you went back to work in noncovered employment, you would not get one. In any event, the terms of the suspension should be contained in your pension plan's Summary Plan Description. You should get a copy of that and review it carefully.