Transfer to a Roth IRA

rblum50

I was contacted by a CPA with this question concerning one of his clients:  Client is a retired judge getting a pension from the Florida State Retirement System. Since 2017, he has been taking his retirement payments and transferring them into a Roth IRA for himself and his wife. The transfer to his wife's IRA is totally inappropriate, but, with regard to the husband, what penalties will be assessed on him for doing what he is doing?

It's possible, but unlikely, that what he is doing is fine.

Does he (or his spouse) have earned income or W-2 compensation other than his pension?

Have the deposits to the IRA been less than the annual IRA limit and less than or equal to his earned income?

Are the deposits to his wife's IRA - spousal IRA contributions?

Were they both under age 70 1/2 in the year's this was done?

Did he treat the pension payments as taxable income in the year received and the deposits as ROTH-IRA contributions?

Is their income below then amount for making eligible ROTH-IRA contributions?

If the answer to all of the above question are "yes" then he's probably fine.

Otherwise, it sounds like he has Excess IRA Contributions for each year he has done this for himself and his wife. Excess IRA contributions are subject to a 6% excess tax each year they remain in the IRA.

Not knowing the background, position, or skills of the original poster, I find it interesting that the question came from a CPA.  Maybe, it's just me.

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.

On 9/11/2020 at 11:24 PM, david rigby said:

Not knowing the background, position, or skills of the original poster, I find it interesting that the question came from a CPA.  Maybe, it's just me.

I was thinking the same thing.  I guess we could give the CPA the benefit of the doubt and assume s/he just took over, and/or the client has been doing this on his own but not telling the CPA since it doesn't affect any tax reporting.  Give people enough rope and they'll find a way to trip over it, or hang themselves.  Shrug.

Ed Snyder