401K retirement distribution

It's impossible to know, because it will depend heavily on the interest rate. If your account is gaining 5% a year it would be very different than if it were gaining 2% a year.

One thing you could do, if you know you want to take a withdrawal every month for exactly 25 years, that means you will have 12 x 25 = 300 total withdrawals. In the first month, take 1/300th of the account, in the second month, take 1/299th of the remaining account, and so on. The amount of the withdrawal will fluctuate with the gains or losses in the account each month but it will be approximately level.

Another option is to look into using your account balance to purchase an annuity.

Free advice is worth what you paid for it. Do not rely on the information provided in this post for any purpose, including (but not limited to): tax planning, compliance with ERISA or the IRC, investing or other forms of fortune-telling, bird identification, relationship advice, or spiritual guidance.

Corey B. Zeller, MSEA, CPC, QPA, QKA
Preferred Pension Planning Corp.
corey@pppc.co

19 minutes ago, FORMER ESQ. said:

To add to the above (and state the obvious), make sure that your 401(k) plan allows for installment payments that you describe and that you are eligible to begin receiving distributions from the plan.

Sorry, did not see that you are 61 years old. Just make sure your plan allows for installments. 

I agree with previous comments.  I'd add that most, just about all, people in this situation would roll the money to an IRA and then take distributions from the IRA; generally much easier.  As noted, the 401(k) might have restrictions on payouts and also might charge a fee each time.

Honestly, it's a very complicated discussion without simple answers; well beyond the scope of this forum.  Investment options and fees, direct and indirect, are all critical (within the plan vs. within the IRA and to get into the IRA).

Ed Snyder

Just now, Gentleman142 said:

This will be a QDRO distribution.  So it would be better to open an IRA and have the funds moved into that account instead of my 401K?

If it's a QDRO, you have to do whatever the QDRO says, so that might limit the choices. If you are the alternate payee, many times you can just take a complete distribution and set up your own payment schedule. But if the QDRO awarded you installment payments, that's what you'll likely have to do. Too many variables for advice here, I think.

William C. Presson, ERPA, QPA, QKA
bill.presson@gmail.com
C 205.994.4070

12 minutes ago, Gentleman142 said:

This will be a QDRO distribution.  So it would be better to open an IRA and have the funds moved into that account instead of my 401K?

That was an important detail you left out. As Bill Presson stated, you will likely have to do what the QDRO says.

1 hour ago, Gentleman142 said:

I am receiving a lump sum from a TSP if that helps.

Not sure what "TSP" means.  If it refers to a government-sponsored plan, note that QDRO specs apply only to the extent that the plan itself adopts such provisions, or recognizes the process (perhaps referring to a "court order" rather than "QDRO").

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.

It would make sense to talk with a financial planner about your distribution options. There will be a cost, but you should have some comfort in speaking with someone who can help you get started on the right track.  the cost would be far less than making decisions that in hind-sight were bad ones and could have been avoided.  Don't talk with someone who will advise for free and/or wants to sell something to you. Go to a fee-only financial planner. 

15 hours ago, Dan said:

Don't talk with someone who will advise for free and/or wants to sell something to you. Go to a fee-only financial planner. 

There are fee-only advisors who charge too much and commission-based advisors who will do a good job and not "charge" (receive) too much.  Granted, it is tough for a layperson to know what is "reasonable" and what is "too much" but I don't subscribe to the mantra that fee-only is always better.  It's not unfair to ask exactly how much either party is charging and/or receiving. 

Ed Snyder