Can US employees of a US company who have been transfered to the UK co

Guest kstorch

PJK,

Lets try this one more time . . .

Ah, the heck with it!

Please see Jon's note on this same page.

He explains (as I did in my note to you) how we ended up on this tangent.

• 1 year later...

If you have employees transferring to foreign subsidiaries and also foreign citizens transferring to the U.S. from those subs, can you solve some of the problems with offshore plans?

Can you name some knowledgeable consultants or vendors of offshore plans?

Guest Jay Van Heyde

So if the UK employee was required to be included in the 410(B) test since he is a non-resident US citizen, would he be included in the 401(k) plan's ADP test? If he was, how would you compute his deferral ratio, since the denominator (his compensation) is zero. My faint recollection of high school math is that if the denominator of a fraction is zero, the percentage is not zero.

I don't know the answer. We are just getting into this. However, our testing situation is very good. We have less than 30 non contributors out of about 1000 eligible. HCEs have been able to defer 11%. (Our match is 200% of the first 3%). There probably will not be enough Expats to impact testing however they are treated.

We need to get a better understanding of the pros and cons of Expats participating in our plans and of providing offshore plans instead. Do you have any experience there?