RFC: Allowing members to post a "commercial" about themselves or their firm

Request for comments --

I wonder if you think it would be a Good Thing vs. a Bad Thing for the community to allow members to post a message (i.e., start a topic) that's commercial in nature because it would enable the member to describe more about himself or herself, or describe his or her firm/employer, or both -- e.g., something like a LinkedIn page. It might describe what services or products are provided by a firm/employer, where it's located, who to contact for more information, a logo or other image (e.g, a map or a photo of the member or a facility etc.), its history, how many people are employed, and similar facts. A personal bio might describe what sorts of hobbies the individual has, and whether he or she would like to connect with other members who are ham radio operators (for example), in addition to any desired "commercial" information (without the fear of breaking any rule that otherwise would stop the member from feeling free to include it).

It would be limited to one such topic per firm/employer, but it could be edited from time to time as desired by the member.

It would allow the posting of reply messages into the topic (e.g., people could ask questions or even develop a conversation with the member about the firm/employer).

I know the message board software has a "profile" feature (click on a member's name next to any posted message), and it includes an "Interests" field and a "About Me" field, but it's a bit hidden, and not as free-form as the idea I'm describing.

Perhaps the privilege would extend only to members who have are large contributors -- X or more posts -- as a reward and incentive for participation.

I'm not sure why that would be needed.  Let the members link to their LinkedIn page is necessary - pr expand their profile.  We tend to know who does what on this forum based on the questions and answers.  Let's not *goober* up the thought leadership with sales.  In my career, the ability to "sell" often doesn't correlate with expertise....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave Baker said:

The idea would be to replace the existing message boards with New BenefitsLink (click) -- what could possibly go wrong?

I think I might still have a stockpile of "old" Coke....  Now if II can remember (see the "When I'm 64" thread...) where I buried it....

If the goal is to promote networking among forum members, how about a stickied "Introductions" thread? It might repeat some of the same info found on people's profiles, but how many of us are browsing individual profiles? This way everyone's blurb would be in one place.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, C. B. Zeller said:

Friendly Benefitslink Inventors!

Sometimes they're kinda cranky about not being able to take a real vacation for a couple of decades (without toting along a computer to put together a daily email newsletter). Still, they just paid off the mortgage, the boy was able to go to a good college, and there's money set aside in connection with this retirement concept that one hears about. Plus there couldn't be a finer group of subscribers and message board users, and in some sense our intrepid Internet pioneers have helped the cause of retirement security as well as helping people find good jobs and do their jobs more easily and effectively. So it's all good!

Here's our "amendment and restatement" in a work photo (Gymboree in pinstripes, doncha know) that dad took and fiddled with in 1995, when this world-wide web thingie got started. Joey will be 27 in a couple of months. He has no interest in employee benefits, though, and the former Floridian prefers to work as a snowboard instructor and maintenance engineer at a ski resort near Mt. Hood in Oregon.

old_joey7.gif

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dave Baker said:

... and there's money set aside in connection with this retirement concept that one hears about.

ERISA geeks never retire, they just superannuate indefinitely!

45 minutes ago, Dave Baker said:

He has no interest in employee benefits, though, and the former Floridian prefers to work as a snowboard instructor and maintenance engineer at a ski resort near Mt. Hood in Oregon.

Smart kid! I'm green with envy!