How to become QKA?

Step 1:  check the ASPPA website

Step 2:  check with your Employer.  Will they cover the costs, or part of them?

Step 3:  As for study time, I guess it would depend on your experience.  My co-worker is doing through the exams now.  He's been in the business a long time, so a lot of the material is review.  If you've only been around for a few years, there will be a lot more you will have to learn rather than just brush up on.

I believe there are two exam packages.  Each contains several modules that you must complete (with 80% assessment scores on each), a practice test and the exam.

The materials are good for 6 months from the day you buy a package.  Everything is online, no pdf's like in the old days, nor paper manuals as in the old, old days.

I obtained my QKA through ASPPA's new program last year. It consisted of two separate courses and final exams: the QKA-1 and QKA-2. Each had 9 online course modules going through the various retirement plan topics. You can find a breakdown of the topics in the link provided by C.B. Zeller. The courses themselves are not required to take the QKA exams, but I'm sure I had a much easier time with the final exams because I went through the courses. I spent anywhere from 1-3 hours per module depending on the complexity of the topic, including study time outside of the online course.

I was originally studying for the DC-1, then when ASPPA introduced the new QKA program, I chose to move forward with the new program instead. I believe the legacy (DC-1 and DC-2) program will also no longer be available after the end of June this year.

You will need to take and pass the Retirement Plan Fundamentals (RPF) course in addition to the QKA exams, unless you have at least 3 years of retirement plan administration experience.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BG5150 said:

The materials are good for 6 months from the day you buy a package.  Everything is online, no pdf's like in the old days, nor paper manuals as in the old, old days.

That's a shame. I kept my study guides as reference materials and referred back to them frequently for years after passing the exams.

Microsoft OneNote was a great help when I was studying for the CPC.  I used OneNote to organize all the pdf study guides, practice tests, and any other sources I used and as CB says, I still refer to those notes.

I'll second OneNote or other method of outlining the material.  You will retain so much information by just making the outline.  The absolute best way to do it is to first do a handwritten outline, as it helps your brain organize the material you are reading and taking notes on.