EOB vs. TAG vs. ERISApedia

Does anyone have any experience with these three services? EOB, sold though ASPPA, is very thorough but a bit overwhelming. Not the easiest to find info but, when you do, it is extremely useful. TAG's online resources are even more difficult to navigate but their archive of Q&A's is helpful. They recently implemented a 50-question/year limit. They are supposed to reply to questions within 24 hours but it has been taking 2-3 days recently.

ERISApedia is the "new kid on the block". Started by the founder of FTW (I am a big fan), it has an "Ask an ERISA Attorney" option with various annual fees for a block of questions. Questions are supposedly answered in 4 business hours. They also have an online resource that, supposedly, could replace those from TAG and EOB. If I switch, it is not about pricing (though ERISApedia is probably a few hundred dollars less expensive).

Does anyone have any experience with these services and can shed additional light on pros/cons of each? Thanks in advance. 

This doesn't exactly answer your questions, but....

EOB: we have the newest volume of books.  Kind of a must have in my opinion.  Like you said, sometimes challenging to find exactly what you are looking to find.

ERISApedia: I'd love to have a subscription.  I have seen a short demo and it appeared to be user friendly, left-side screen topic tree format.  Click away and read.

TAG: I've had bad experience with them in the past so i am jaded....  No chance I would ask them anything. 

With Benefitslink.com, the EOB, (print or pdf version) and a subscription to Erisapedia, I would be as happy as Tom Poje!

I like the online version of the EOB.  Sometimes it's tough to find what you need, but the more you use it, the less hard to find what you need.  But with so much information that overlaps several topics, it's bound to get a little confusing at times.  My current job doesn't have the online version, but has the books.  So I look stuff up in the index on the ASPPA site and use the books.

Years ago we had TAG, and I was underwhelmed at times.  I was looking to them to answer questions, not just copy and paste (mostly) relevant code.  I'm not sure how the service is these days.

1 hour ago, Mr Bagwell said:

This doesn't exactly answer your questions, but....

EOB: we have the newest volume of books.  Kind of a must have in my opinion.  Like you said, sometimes challenging to find exactly what you are looking to find.

ERISApedia: I'd love to have a subscription.  I have seen a short demo and it appeared to be user friendly, left-side screen topic tree format.  Click away and read.

TAG: I've had bad experience with them in the past so i am jaded....  No chance I would ask them anything. 

With Benefitslink.com, the EOB, (print or pdf version) and a subscription to Erisapedia, I would be as happy as Tom Poje!

Why would you need both EOB and ERISApedia? You don't think they overlap?

I like the EOB.  I respect Derrin and Ilene, but have not used their service (although their articles and webinars are outstanding).  My old firm had TAG for a number of years and I always thought it was underwhelming.  Good luck!

Dropped EOB and use ERISApedia.  I use Who's the Employer, authored by Derrin, very frequently, in addition to the other subscription services that ERISApedia offers.

No offense to any organization or anyone who puts their time and effort into publishing these very useful resources.  My employees and I struggled finding EOB answers, online and through the index hardcopy.  Eventually, everyone will get you to the right answer, personal preference I find ERISApedia easier.

• Like 1

EOB is great, if you can find what you are looking for. They never redesigned their search engine however still great, I use online version although sometimes use the index (have an older version in print).

ERISApedia is great as well, more practical approach.

I have them both and very happy with the information available. Never used TAG.

Good thing about online, the information is constantly updated.

Never used ERISApedia...

I have been using the EOB for years and find it typically has what I need often with some practical examples to help clarify what i am reading to interpret it to fit my situation. 

My experience with TAG is pretty similar to the other comments, it was helpful if you wanted code sections that dealt with my question or the question was rather straightforward.  Unfortunately just having the relevant code sections dose not always help with interpreting the how it should be applied in a particular situation which I found frustrating and to be able to help a client to understand the issue.  

EOB is the clear answer for me.  The search feature return too many results unless you get specific with the search terms. That said, I actually don't find it hard to navigate at all, so it is very rare for me to not find my answer.  I like the level of detail and how it is presented.  When I have a question, it is usually not "can I do X", it is "can I do X, why, and what is the relevant authority".  EOB is very efficient at getting me there.  I have also used the EOB extensively for close to 15 years, so I am very used to it, which is probably a consideration.

TAG - meh. I like their library of sources, but I can get that elsewhere as well.  The Q&A isn't that appealing to me.  I need my answer when I'm looking for it, not at an undetermined time in the next 24-48 hours.  Also, I never got the level of detail I wanted out of the Q&A. 

ERISApedia - Tim and his team are great.  Love Derrin and Ilene.  didn't love the format when I did a demo.  This was early days so it may have changed.  I didn't use it enough to speak to the level of detail, but I have no reason to doubt it from people like Tim, Derrin, and Ilene.  Really just a matter of preference.