Wake up Dave Baker

Yuck!  What a horrible change.  As a Yankees fan I prefer what my husband calls them - the Cleveland idiots, lol! In Cleveland, the mistake by the lake! 

4 out of 3 people struggle with math

54 minutes ago, ratherbereading said:

Yuck!  What a horrible change.  As a Yankees fan I prefer what my husband calls them - the Cleveland idiots, lol! In Cleveland, the mistake by the lake! 

Sitting here in suburban Cleveland as I type this, all I can say is I'd rather be here than in the Wormy Apple any day of the week.....  Actually, there's only one team more hated around here than the Yankees - and that would be the Steelers....  😁

(oh, and all my "Indians" attire just became a supplement to my retirement nest egg!)

Not getting in the middle of all you American Leaguers as I'm an NL guy, but when I first saw the new name I instantly thought of the Guardian Angels. I mentioned them to a colleague in his 30's (I'm late 50's) and provided their website and, no surprise, he never heard of them. To my surprise, they're still around.

Anyway, instead of the typical baseball cap, the new Cleveland Guardians can wear red berets. 

Wondering who else remembers Curtis Sliwa & company from the 80's?

Among the younger generation the name Guardians more likely conjures up images of Guardians of the Galaxy - maybe their new mascot can be Groot!

Kenneth M. Prell, CEBS, ERPA

Vice President, BPAS Actuarial & Pension Services

kprell@bpas.com

14 hours ago, Tom Poje said:

I guess they are named after a bridge in Cleveland.

I see it is a truss bridge so maybe the players will have to wear trusses....

Now now....  That bridge (Lorain Ave., to be precise) is symbolic of the sturdiness of Cleveland and Clevelandians.  It is recognized an a prime example of art deco style and architecture - and ends right at the stadium.  Hearty architecture (and the bridge is but one example, see also Terminal Tower, the Standard Oil Company Building (birthed in Cleveland,) the theaters, etc.).  Hearty people.  Hearty economy.  Hearty city.  Not like the throw away culture on the coasts and elsewhere.

By the way, the "mistake on the lake" moniker has been soundly debunked.  Cleveland is a leader in biotech and other technology, WORLD RENOWNED HEALTH CARE (the Cleveland Clinic system, University Hospitals System, and the Metrohealth System), is ranked one of the most livable cities in the country, is one of the more affordable major metro areas in the country, boasts three major sports teams (the Guardians, Browns and Cavs), the Cleveland Orchestra (ranked one of the top three orchestras in the WORLD for over a century, Playhouse Square (the largest theater complex in the world outside of NYC), the Cleveland Museum of Art, the Crawford Auto Museum, the Botanical Gardens, numerous highly ranked educational institutions, the Cuyahoga Valley National Park running from Akron through Cleveland (the most visited National Park in the country) which connects to both the Summit County and Cuyahoga County metroparks systems expanding it's reach, the Lake Erie lakeshore and dozens of lakefront parks and recreational venues, four season activities (boating, hiking/biking (along the 60 plus mile "towpath" in the National Park along the path of the old Ohio and Erie Canal)) and even snow skiing (downhill and cross country)) - all within 20 miles or so of the center of downtown.

2 hours ago, CuseFan said:

Not getting in the middle of all you American Leaguers as I'm an NL guy, but when I first saw the new name I instantly thought of the Guardian Angels. I mentioned them to a colleague in his 30's (I'm late 50's) and provided their website and, no surprise, he never heard of them. To my surprise, they're still around.

Anyway, instead of the typical baseball cap, the new Cleveland Guardians can wear red berets. 

Among the younger generation the name Guardians more likely conjures up images of Guardians of the Galaxy - maybe their new mascot can be Groot!

I worked in the Loop (the Chicago downtown) in the '80s.  I was taking graduate level classes at DePaul University at their downtown campus during that time.  I would get out of class around 10pm.   I would take the L which out to the suburb where I parted my car.   When the Guardian Angels were on one of the cars 95%+ of all people rode in that car even if they had to stand and there were open seats in the other cars on the train.   I remember them well from those days.  

On 7/23/2021 at 12:39 PM, MoJo said:

Sitting here in suburban Cleveland as I type this, all I can say is I'd rather be here than in the Wormy Apple any day of the week.....  Actually, there's only one team more hated around here than the Yankees - and that would be the Steelers....  😁

(oh, and all my "Indians" attire just became a supplement to my retirement nest egg!)

Other teams hate the Yankees only because they know they will never be the Yankees, lol! No other team has a following (world-wide) as they do.  My husband is in the process of selling his  50+year huge collection of baseball media guides and other publications on EBAY - he just got good prices on quite a few Indian items so you have a point! 

On 7/23/2021 at 4:07 PM, MoJo said:

Now now....  That bridge (Lorain Ave., to be precise) is symbolic of the sturdiness of Cleveland and Clevelandians.  It is recognized an a prime example of art deco style and architecture - and ends right at the stadium.  Hearty architecture (and the bridge is but one example, see also Terminal Tower, the Standard Oil Company Building (birthed in Cleveland,) the theaters, etc.).  Hearty people.  Hearty economy.  Hearty city.  Not like the throw away culture on the coasts and elsewhere.

By the way, the "mistake on the lake" moniker has been soundly debunked.  Cleveland is a leader in biotech and other technology, WORLD RENOWNED HEALTH CARE (the Cleveland Clinic system, University Hospitals System, and the Metrohealth System), is ranked one of the most livable cities in the country, is one of the more affordable major metro areas in the country, boasts three major sports teams (the Guardians, Browns and Cavs), the Cleveland Orchestra (ranked one of the top three orchestras in the WORLD for over a century, Playhouse Square (the largest theater complex in the world outside of NYC), the Cleveland Museum of Art, the Crawford Auto Museum, the Botanical Gardens, numerous highly ranked educational institutions, the Cuyahoga Valley National Park running from Akron through Cleveland (the most visited National Park in the country) which connects to both the Summit County and Cuyahoga County metroparks systems expanding it's reach, the Lake Erie lakeshore and dozens of lakefront parks and recreational venues, four season activities (boating, hiking/biking (along the 60 plus mile "towpath" in the National Park along the path of the old Ohio and Erie Canal)) and even snow skiing (downhill and cross country)) - all within 20 miles or so of the center of downtown.

My husband lived in Cleveland for a few years and hated it.  He said it was the worst city he ever lived in and he's lived in a lot.  

On 7/23/2021 at 2:32 PM, CuseFan said:

Yes I definitely remember Curtis! 

10 hours ago, ratherbereading said:

My husband lived in Cleveland for a few years and hated it.  He said it was the worst city he ever lived in and he's lived in a lot.  

When?  I've been in many cities too - and by and large, the Cleveland of today is by far the best!

No, fans hate the Yankees because they have the by far the largest payroll - and flaunt it (and still don't perform as well, dollar for dollar, as many other teams).  BTW, I just had a conversation with a coworker - and she proudly showed me some of her Cleveland memorabilia.  Worth a pretty penny.  1942 pennant.  Bob Feller stuff.  Oh, and we could talk about the fand for the Browns (the legendary dog pound) and the Cavs (oh, and LeBron still calls Akron his home and the Cavs his hometown team).  Like I said, you'd be hard pressed to find another city with four seasons and the various activities it brings, the National Park, the culture, the coast, and the people....

16 hours ago, RatherBeGolfing said:

And the founder is running for mayor in NYC

I see that. Will be interesting to see how far he gets.

Kenneth M. Prell, CEBS, ERPA

Vice President, BPAS Actuarial & Pension Services

kprell@bpas.com

• 2 months later...