Expanded Availability For Inservice Distributions?

Regarding the requirements that elective deferrals and safe harbor contributions cannot be distributed to employed participants until they attain age 59.5 (assuming the doc permits such payouts), I was recently speaking with someone who mentioned that recent legislation (he said either the SECURE or CARES Act) now permits inservice distributions from all sources including deferrals and SH money.  I normally defer to him since he's a TPA, but I haven't been able to locate anything in writing that backs up this change - have the inservice rules changed in this respect?   

CARES allowed it up to $100,000 but only through 12/31/2020 for Coronavirus Related Withdrawals which could be self certified and only for plans that added the CARES withdrawal provisions.

I'm not aware of a general expansion for under age 59.5 other than the hardship exception. If it has been expanded, hopefully someone can point out where.

SECURE added qualified birth and adoption distributions, but those are limited to $5000.

That notwithstanding, IRC 401(k)(2)(B) remains intact.

Free advice is worth what you paid for it. Do not rely on the information provided in this post for any purpose, including (but not limited to): tax planning, compliance with ERISA or the IRC, investing or other forms of fortune-telling, bird identification, relationship advice, or spiritual guidance.

Corey B. Zeller, MSEA, CPC, QPA, QKA
Preferred Pension Planning Corp.
corey@pppc.co