New uniform life table for 2022 RMD--where?

When I go to the "Retirement Topics — Required Minimum Distributions (RMDs)" page of the IRS it mentions the new age 72 rule.

However, under "Calculating the required minimum distribution" section, the link to the Uniform Life Table leads to Publication 590-B (2020) and the sub heading says "For use in preparing 2020 Returns"

Can I even find the new tables in the Retirement section of the IRS site?  If so, where?

QKA, QPA, CPC, ERPA

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.

The revised 1.401(a)(9)-9 which contains the new tables was published in the Federal Register on November 12, 2020.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/11/12/2020-24723/updated-life-expectancy-and-distribution-period-tables-used-for-purposes-of-determining-minimum

Free advice is worth what you paid for it. Do not rely on the information provided in this post for any purpose, including (but not limited to): tax planning, compliance with ERISA or the IRC, investing or other forms of fortune-telling, bird identification, relationship advice, or spiritual guidance.

Corey B. Zeller, MSEA, CPC, QPA, QKA
Preferred Pension Planning Corp.
corey@pppc.co

I found the Federal Register page.  I even have the text from the FR itself.

But what is a participant to do?  If they went to the IRS site, typed in RMD then followed "Retirement Topics--Required Minimum Distributions (RMDs), then "Calculating the RMD" and clicked the link to the Uniform Life Table:

That leads to 590-B (2020).

How is a participant supposed to PROPERLY calculate their distribution?

QKA, QPA, CPC, ERPA

And what's next?  A link to the 2021 Form? Which KINDA makes sense, since people are working on their 2021 returns.

But then some people are preparing to take their 2022 RMDs now.  The would need a 590-B TWO YEARS later than the one that is linked right ont he IRS website.

It's not like it's some third party site, it's the gosh darned IRS site!

QKA, QPA, CPC, ERPA

A participant who does not keep themselves informed of IRS regulatory activity (presumably most participants) should rely on a trusted service provider such as a recordkeeper, custodian, or TPA to provide them with the most up-to-date information.

Pub 590-B (which only relates to IRAs, not qualified plans), even says "If an RMD is required from your IRA, the trustee, custodian, or issuer that held the IRA at the end of the preceding year must either report the amount of the RMD to you, or offer to calculate it for you." The IRS does not expect IRA owners to calculate their own RMD amounts.

Free advice is worth what you paid for it. Do not rely on the information provided in this post for any purpose, including (but not limited to): tax planning, compliance with ERISA or the IRC, investing or other forms of fortune-telling, bird identification, relationship advice, or spiritual guidance.

Corey B. Zeller, MSEA, CPC, QPA, QKA
Preferred Pension Planning Corp.
corey@pppc.co

My point is that participants SHOULD be able to rely on the IRS website for that information.

Same with retirement plan professionals.  Sometimes we have questions.  Unfortunately, I've learned not to trust the IRS site.

QKA, QPA, CPC, ERPA

• 2 months later...