Related employers for SEP?

Entity A is an LLC (taxed as a partnership) owned 99% by John Smith, and maintains a SEP.  Entity X is a partnership.  One of the partners (with a 10% partnership interest) is a single member LLC (Entity B) owned 100% by John Smith.

The SEP must cover all related/controlled employers.   Since Entity B is a disregarded entity (as a single member LLC), is John Smith deemed the 10% partner of Entity X and there is no control?  Or since John Smith owns 100% of Entity B and 99% of Entity A, is this a controlled group?

John has SE earnings from Entity A, but a loss from Entity B.  If the entities are controlled (and therefore both must be covered by the SEP) I would net the earnings from both for purposes of determining any SEP contribution and 415 limits.  If the entities are not controlled, and since only Entity A adopted the SEP, I would only use SE earnings from Entity A for determining the contribution.

Which is the correct analysis?

Thanks to all for your input.

The single member LLC rules say you disregard basically for all federal income tax purposes, so I agree with CuseFan.

Luke Bailey

Senior Counsel

Clark Hill PLC

214-651-4572 (O) | LBailey@clarkhill.com

2600 Dallas Parkway Suite 600

Frisco, TX 75034