Seeking Your Feedback

I'm trying to assess what services a benefits manager needs from their benefits broker.  For instance, do you have them provide employee manual help, vendor evaluations and compliance updates?  Of course, help with health insurance design, claims assistance and renewals is requisite but what other services are important to you that your benefits broker provides?  I would welcome a call to discuss your thoughts.  

A benefits broker is absolutely essential and we suggest at least two annual meetings in their regular service listing to discuss the account, how to improve benefits, cost-saving suggestions and a plethora of other topics. They provide quotes and help to insure the insurance services you want for a price that is reasonable. We have done an RFP 3 x in 10 years to make sure we are getting the current, most creative services that we can afford.

Bob the Swimmer is spot on.  BTW, for transparency purposes, I am a group health carrier rep, not a broker.  I would add a few things.  First, depending on the size of your group, you should expect different services, and expertise, from the broker.  From your posting, it appears to me that you may be at a larger group.  There is a significant difference between the needs of a 50 life group, a 500 life group and a 5,000 life group.  Secondly, there is no reason why you should not ask for an outline of services provided, arrive at an agreement, and memorialize it in a contract/MOU.  Lastly, just as a group shops for coverage, you can also shop for brokers.  Talking to 1 or 2 other brokers every few years is worth it.  Keep in mind, your current broker may be doing a good job, but you may be missing out on other things/ideas.  Good luck. 

Leevena, could not agree with you more, especially your last point. When I add this segment to a module I have taught on H&W plan administration, I begin by saying if you don't have a proactive broker who brings you new ideas and thought leadership, you're not with the right firm. Thought leadership is very important as the business is changing rapidly every year, and managing quotes to get the best package your company can afford are also very important.