Excluding highly compensated employee who is not an owner from a plan

rblum50

I have a client (100% owner) who maintains both a 40(k) plan and a defined benefit plan. He will be having an associate age 59 joining the company later on this year earning >300,000 with no ownership in the company. The owner (age 49) wants to minimize the amount the company would have to put in either plan for this associate. Here are a couple of alternatives:

1) As a highly compensated employee, exclude him from both plans.

2) Exclude him from the DB plan. Include him in the 401(k) (comparability plan). The plan currently allows for a discretionary contribution, salary deferrals  and a Safe Harbor match. We can zero out his discretionary contribution, preclude him (agreement outside the plan) from making any salary deferrals which, in turn, would negate any safe harbor match. 

Let's us assume that in both cases discrimination requirements are met. Then In both cases, there would be no employer contributions for him.  Comments.

I think they'd just be on the hook for a THM, then.  Whether that's 3 or 5 depends on whether he's in an excluded class of employees, versus just being a participant with a 0% benefit formula on the DB side.  If you make him completely ineligible from the DC plan, too, then you owe him nothing, and he still counts in the tests as a zero.

18 hours ago, Bri said:

If you make him completely ineligible from the DC plan, too, then you owe him nothing, and he still counts in the tests as a zero

Agree this is best (only?) way to accomplish owner's objective. Otherwise, potential THM as Bri notes. Why make eligible for DC and then try a (highly) legally questionable side agreement precluding him from making deferrals? Employee can make an irrevocable election not to participate prior to entry if plan language allows but why? Just amend plans to exclude him. This also makes it easier to later bring him into one or both plans if circumstances change.

Kenneth M. Prell, CEBS, ERPA

Vice President, BPAS Actuarial & Pension Services

kprell@bpas.com

Alternatively, an employer and a would-be employee might negotiate the employee’s compensation based on the employer’s all-in expenses, adjusting the salary so the employer’s expenses, including for health and retirement benefits, meet what the employer is willing to spend to get the employee (and what makes the employee willing to work for the employer).

Even if exclusions from one or more employee-benefit plans might be feasible, consider whether the employee might value some kinds of health or retirement benefits enough that she’s willing to accept a lower salary so the employer meets its all-in budget.

Peter Gulia PC

Fiduciary Guidance Counsel

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

215-732-1552

Peter@FiduciaryGuidanceCounsel.com

1 hour ago, Peter Gulia said:

Even if exclusions from one or more employee-benefit plans might be feasible, consider whether the employee might value some kinds of health or retirement benefits enough that she’s willing to accept a lower salary so the employer meets its all-in budget.

Ding, ding, ding!

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.