Stable Value Fund

PS

Hi, 

I've encountered a very unique situation.  One of the terminating plan has a stable value fund and the client does not want to wait for the 12 months PUT period they want the MVA adjustment done and also they would pay the market value directly to the IRA provider where the participants will rollover.  I've never come across something like this, how can the participants can get paid or what would be a better approach? 

From context, I guess the plan you ask about is an individual-account (defined-contribution) plan.

If a fiduciary (such as the employer in its role as the plan’s administrator or trustee) pays an amount “to restore losses to a plan resulting from actions by a fiduciary for which there is reasonable risk of liability for breach of a fiduciary duty under title I of the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 . . . or under other applicable federal or state law,” such a payment is not an annual addition for Internal Revenue Code § 415. For the details and conditions, see 26 C.F.R. § 1.415(c)-1(b)(2)(ii)(C) https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-26/chapter-I/subchapter-A/part-1/subject-group-ECFR686e4ad80b3ad70/section-1.415(c)-1#p-1.415(c)-1(b)(2)(ii)(C).

If there is no risk of liability, an employer could pay the plan an amount that adjusts the stable-value contract’s values, but would do so within annual-additions limits, and within coverage and nondiscrimination constraints.

Either way, the employer pays the restoration or other adjustment into the employer’s retirement plan. When the stable-value insurer or bank gets the money, it and the recordkeeper adjust the individual accounts’ balances before the plan pays its final distributions (whether rolled to an IRA or not).

Peter Gulia PC

Fiduciary Guidance Counsel

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

215-732-1552

Peter@FiduciaryGuidanceCounsel.com

1 hour ago, Peter Gulia said:

From context, I guess the plan you ask about is an individual-account (defined-contribution) plan.

If a fiduciary (such as the employer in its role as the plan’s administrator or trustee) pays an amount “to restore losses to a plan resulting from actions by a fiduciary for which there is reasonable risk of liability for breach of a fiduciary duty under title I of the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 . . . or under other applicable federal or state law,” such a payment is not an annual addition for Internal Revenue Code § 415. For the details and conditions, see 26 C.F.R. § 1.415(c)-1(b)(2)(ii)(C) https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-26/chapter-I/subchapter-A/part-1/subject-group-ECFR686e4ad80b3ad70/section-1.415(c)-1#p-1.415(c)-1(b)(2)(ii)(C).

If there is no risk of liability, an employer could pay the plan an amount that adjusts the stable-value contract’s values, but would do so within annual-additions limits, and within coverage and nondiscrimination constraints.

Either way, the employer pays the restoration or other adjustment into the employer’s retirement plan. When the stable-value insurer or bank gets the money, it and the recordkeeper adjust the individual accounts’ balances before the plan pays its final distributions (whether rolled to an IRA or not).

Ok, here the plan sponsor does not want to wait for the 12 months PUT and just want to force out the unresponsive participants funds to an IRA provider.  Hence the stable value provider state they will pay/make the adjustment once its rolled over to the IRA provider is this something doable? I've never seen this happen. 

Is this a Stable Value Fund within an insurance product where the MVA is actually an option?  Mechanically, the insurance company should be able to give you an estimate of the MVA and that amount could be deposited and pro-rated to the affected participants prior to their distributions as an earnings amount.  All affected partcipants should be credited with the MVA amount.  

If it has a true stable value fund, have you applied for the waiver of the PUT?  It will most likely not be granted, but it will start your 12 month clock.  If it is a true stable value fund, there will not be an option for a MVA.

With regard to your question above, on a plan conversion, we have seen Stable Value Funds accept assets from one recordkeeper to another, as long as it was either a transfer in kind for the SV fund, or some sort of transfer where they could put the money into the stable value fund, but maybe another share class.  Maybe this is what they are referring to for those that transfer to their auto IRA or to an IRA provider that leaves the money in the stable value fund.  In this case though, you still have the issue of those who choose to cash out or or roll to another institution not being treated the same way.

Pamela L. (Bobersky) Shoup CEBS, RPA, QKA

AMI Benefit Plan Administrators, Inc.

100 Terra Bella Drive

Youngstown, Ohio 44505

800-451-2865

www.amibenefit.com

16 hours ago, Pam Shoup said:

Is this a Stable Value Fund within an insurance product where the MVA is actually an option?  Mechanically, the insurance company should be able to give you an estimate of the MVA and that amount could be deposited and pro-rated to the affected participants prior to their distributions as an earnings amount.  All affected partcipants should be credited with the MVA amount.  

If it has a true stable value fund, have you applied for the waiver of the PUT?  It will most likely not be granted, but it will start your 12 month clock.  If it is a true stable value fund, there will not be an option for a MVA.

With regard to your question above, on a plan conversion, we have seen Stable Value Funds accept assets from one recordkeeper to another, as long as it was either a transfer in kind for the SV fund, or some sort of transfer where they could put the money into the stable value fund, but maybe another share class.  Maybe this is what they are referring to for those that transfer to their auto IRA or to an IRA provider that leaves the money in the stable value fund.  In this case though, you still have the issue of those who choose to cash out or or roll to another institution not being treated the same way.

It's a PIMCO stable value fund and its a plan termination and the client has already informed them about the plan termination and there is a 12 months PUT.  since we are dealing with unresponsive participants the fund swill be liquidated and rolled over to an IRA account.