Affiliated Service

I thought I remember seeing a flowchart on ASG determinations somewhere a number of years back but couldn't find it in my on-line library. You can ask Google, that's often my first step. I use the WK answer books as a resource and also recommend Derrin Watson's Who's the Employer? but many of the ASG rules are still clear as mud to me. Some situations are very apparent one way or the other, but anything with a hint of gray I'm with CBZ and steer them to qualified legal counsel.

Kenneth M. Prell, CEBS, ERPA

Vice President, BPAS Actuarial & Pension Services

kprell@bpas.com

You might be thinking of the flow chart on pages 45-46 here: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/epchd704.pdf

Free advice is worth what you paid for it. Do not rely on the information provided in this post for any purpose, including (but not limited to): tax planning, compliance with ERISA or the IRC, investing or other forms of fortune-telling, bird identification, relationship advice, or spiritual guidance.

Corey B. Zeller, MSEA, CPC, QPA, QKA
Preferred Pension Planning Corp.
corey@pppc.co

Corey, that is exactly what I remember - what I can't remember is where I saved it before, if I did, probably next to the car keys, cell phone or TV remote! So was sure to save this is in logical (for now) place. Thanks!

Kenneth M. Prell, CEBS, ERPA

Vice President, BPAS Actuarial & Pension Services

kprell@bpas.com

You may be thinking of the chart that was published some time ago by TAG I believe but it was for the Controlled Group Determination.  ASG determinations are much more difficult unless it is a textbook case with physician or law practice.  Because there are so many nuances with some ownership or management oversight, it is always best to seek a legal opinion in the case of an ASG (or potential one).