2021 Form 5558s being denied

ktrombino

Mailed in 59 Form 5558s to the IRS for the 2021 plan year on July 22, 2022, certified mail return receipt.   Now my clients are getting Notices CP216H indicating that they have denied the request for an extension of time because the request was not filed on or before the due date of the return.   I have a copy of my Certified Mail receipt showing the package being mailed out on July 22, 2022.  I cannot get through to the IRS on the phone "due to extreme call volumes" and I should try again tomorrow.  Anyone else getting these denial letters?  Should I resend the entire package again with all 59 forms ?

And that's why ever since 2013, every client goes on extension in June.  Still doesn't help 100%, but it gets the bulk of these out of the way.  Make the IRS earn their keep; a computer may have printed these notices out, but a human has to handle your response.  Draft a form letter response and submit for each one your clients recieve.

19 minutes ago, Tom said:

When oh when will the 5558 be electronically filed?  Should be an easy project for IRS especially when 87,000 new employees get hired.

I thought they were working on that for 2023 or 2024. I could be wrong but thought I read that somewhere recently.

I think they are removing the extension of the 5330 from the 5558 and moving it to a different form which will allow the 5558 to filed through EFAST. At least that is my understanding.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just got off the phone with an IRS agent about my predicament.  After faxing him proof of my mailing (Certified mail receipt dated 7/17/2022), sending him a signed 2848 and original 2848, he agrees that my client was sent a Notice CP216H in error and he will be sending out an apology letter soon.   I asked about the other 58 forms from my package and he couldn't help me with those.  He can only handle one 5500 filing per phone call.  There needs to be a better way.