EFAST 2 Email from EFAST email account

austin3515

Client got this email and wanted to know if it was legit.  Have others seen this?  You get an email from some account with hyperlinks and obvioulsy people are concerned it is a phishing campaign (ALL links were deleted before I pasted this in).  Curious to know if anyone else has heard of these going out.  This will ruin 2023 for us unfortunately. IT was awful the first time.  The 2nd time should be no different.

The email is as follows:

EBSA is modernizing the EFAST2 website authentication process. The existing EFAST2-issued User ID and password log-in process is being phased out and will be replaced by the unified single sign-on solution for U.S. government websites. enables users to securely log in to many government agencies’ services with a single username and password.

Beginning Jan. 1, 2023, all new EFAST2 website accounts will be created using the process. Existing filers may use their EFAST2-issued User ID and password to log in to the EFAST2 website until Sept. 1, 2023. This eight-month grace period provides a gradual transition for filers. However, existing filers may change to a account as early as Jan. 1, 2023.

Logging into the EFAST2 website is required to obtain new electronic signature credentials for the Form 5500 Series. It is also required to file the Form PR or to use IFILE, the government’s Form 5500 Series filing application. Logging into the EFAST2 website is generally not necessary for existing Form 5500 Series filers using

Thank you,

The U.S. Department of Labor

Austin Powers, CPA, QPA, ERPA

Sounds like it might be legit if it is about Login.gov which seems to be a thing that US government agencies are using. I had to set mine up for PBGC last year but I'm pretty sure it ties into multiple government logins.

That said I have not seen this particular email and can't confirm it's not a scam.

As always if you're concerned and it is something you do use, I'd suggest not following the links but go directly to the website URL in question that you know is legit to verify.

If the email is from EBSA, it might be a little disappointing that a government agency is unaware that most of us have been taught not to respond or react in any way to an email not preceded by a known course of dealing or that otherwise leaves a doubt about its authenticity.

Peter Gulia PC

Fiduciary Guidance Counsel

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

215-732-1552

Peter@FiduciaryGuidanceCounsel.com

Never heard of this yet.  I just went to the efast.dol.gov website, and didn't see any indication of this change to the log-in process.  If they already have links in an email, I would think the website will at least have information of the change.

10 hours ago, Peter Gulia said:

If the email is from EBSA, it might be a little disappointing that a government agency is unaware that most of us have been taught not to respond or react in any way to an email not preceded by a known course of dealing or that otherwise leaves a doubt about its authenticity.

Amen Peter.  Sometimes the disconnection with the world is unbelievable.  Such a good example of that.  Another is when they think it's feasible to have additional catch-up contributions at age 60, 61, 62 and 63.

And login.gov were the links that I deleted (at least that is the text I didn't exam the link).

Austin Powers, CPA, QPA, ERPA

It's legit - it was announced a couple of weeks ago. https://www.asppa.org/news/dol-modernizing-efast-authentication

The plan is apparently to stop allowing old EFAST login credentials by September 1, 2023 and only allow login.gov after that point. We'll see how that works out.

As Lou pointed out, MyPAA (for PBGC filings) made the same change earlier this year, but they had the foresight to make it required and only stop supporting the old logins only after the normal due date for calendar-year filers.

Free advice is worth what you paid for it. Do not rely on the information provided in this post for any purpose, including (but not limited to): tax planning, compliance with ERISA or the IRC, investing or other forms of fortune-telling, bird identification, relationship advice, or spiritual guidance.

Corey B. Zeller, MSEA, CPC, QPA, QKA
Preferred Pension Planning Corp.
corey@pppc.co

Anyone know if login.gov is the same as the irs.gov "ID me"?  I had to get the "ID me" credentials in order to electronically file the 8955-SSA forms with our existing TOC code.  Still haven't completed the process though to actually be able to file the 8955-SSA forms because the site requires two people to be listed and the other person in the office hasn't yet completed the process to be able to log in.  It was a bit of a hassle and I'm hoping I don't have to do another for the login.gov for the EBSA.....