MDO for plan w/auto-enrollment

making sure I grasp the ability to give 0% missed deferral opportunity for a plan with auto enrollment.

Employee rehired in 2022, and therefore eligible per plan doc to reenter plan on rehire date.

EE deferrals not started until after completing new hire requirement of 3 months worked, in early 2023.

I believe then that because deferrals were started w/in 9.5 months of failure, due to the auto-enrollment feature, no MDO required (ie 0% MDO).

cathyw - thanks much

Getting to the nitty gritty of the 45-day notice requirement, curious for thoughts on what would be treated as the start date of the 45-day period (date withholding actually begins):

• First day of effective payroll period
  • Last day of effective payroll period since 401(k) is being first deferred as of this date
  • Actual pay date, since this is the date of the transaction (or formal deferral by employee)

Working with actual dates for example:

• Payroll period is 3/1-3/15
  • Paycheck date is 3/20

I'm curious if someone can confirm.

Generally, you will use the applicable ADP rate (HCE or NHCE) to calculate the rate of the Missed Deferral which is then used to calculate the MDO and Missed Match.

If the correction is being made during the current year, do you rely on the prior year's ADP?

Alternatively, if the plan has Auto Enrollment, I'm thinking you ignore the ADP and use the rate of auto enrollment that the participant would have been assigned.

The ADP is used when an employee was improperly excluded from a non-safe harbor plan. Automatic enrollment is considered to be equivalent to an affirmative election, so you use the rules for failure to implement, which use the employee's actual (or deemed, in the case of automatic enrollment) election.

Free advice is worth what you paid for it. Do not rely on the information provided in this post for any purpose, including (but not limited to): tax planning, compliance with ERISA or the IRC, investing or other forms of fortune-telling, bird identification, relationship advice, or spiritual guidance.

Corey B. Zeller, MSEA, CPC, QPA, QKA
Preferred Pension Planning Corp.
corey@pppc.co