Anybody aware of any IRS plan to begin auditing 457(f) plans sponsored

Guest David Blask

Guest David Blask

Are you aware of any IRS plans to begin auditing 457(f)plans in school districts? Any comments on pairing a 457(f) and 403(B) in a district as a method of sheltering retirement incentive pay?

Hi, David! IRS plans to begin auditing 457 plans by Spring - currently supposedly training the field examiners to audit those types of plans. While 457(f) was not specifically mentioned to me in my last discussion w/IRS, I would assume audit plans would include both eligible & ineligible plans. As to using 457(f)s - I'm seeing some of that happening in public schools - but not a great deal now that no nondiscrimination rules apply to employer contributions in governmental plans - mostly seeing 401(a) and 403(B) being used. The substantial risk of forfeiture required in 457)f) seems to be a deterrent (especially w/such employees as the superintendent of schools).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bstarr@metlife.com

AUDIT BEING CONDUCTED @ L.A. UNIFIED. LOOKING FOR EXCESSSIVE CONTRIBUTIONS AND 415(g) VIOLATIONS. ALL PARTIES HELD JOINTLY AND SEVERALLY LIABILE: AGENT, DISTRICT,& TSA CARRIER.