457 plans - non-profits - excess contributions

Guest shanna

I know of exceutives in a non-profit organization who are putting away between $50,000 and $70,000 per year in their 457 plan? How can they do this without violating the limitations rules of $8,000?

Not knowing the facts, it is hard to tell. They may have a 457(f) plan, in which vesting is delayed in order to delay taxation of the benefits. They may have a funded or unfunded plan in which contributions are immediately taxable (with or without some sort of extra payment by the organization to compensate for the taxes). Their plan may rely on things like mutual fund options or split dollar life insurance, which many would argue are not covered by section 457. Or, of course, they may be ignoring the law.

Employee benefits legal resource site

The opinions of my postings are my own and do not necessarily represent my law firm's position, strategies, or opinions. The contents of my postings are offered for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. A visit to this board or an exchange of information through this board does not create an attorney-client relationship. You should consult directly with an attorney for individual advice regarding your particular situation. I am not your lawyer under any circumstances.