Employer started a Simple IRA in 1999, and has never matched!

Guest CDAVIS

In 1999 my employer started a Simple IRA. In the body of the "Employee Notice" it reads:

" For 1999, your employer will (employer to complete) {which he did}

match your elective contributions up to 2% of your compensation"

But he has NEVER made a contribution. Is this legal? What are my rights? Does the employer face any penalties & fees? If anyone has any info on this I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

First, ask your employer nicely if he 'forgot' to put in the match. Don't threaten or be nasty, do it privately.

If you have problems, then contacty your local DOL/PWBA office for advice. They may follow up. You may be put under pressure. However, you cannot be fired for exercising your ERISA rights. Its a VERY nasty lawsuit against your employer by the Feds if he does retaliate.

Just a thought -- the employer has until his income tax filing deadline (plus extensions) to fund the nonelective. If he has a fiscal year running from 12/1/1999 to 11/30/2000 and started the plan in 1999, his filing deadline isn't until 2/15/2001 (and, with extensions 8/15/2001). If you didn't start contributing until after 12/1/1999 and he's doing the match, he's not even necessarily late.