Deduction for partial year PBGC with DB/DC combo

Bear with me folks, my post is a bit lengthy, but I would really appreciate any feedback or insight. Neither the IRS nor PBGC had an answer, so I'm hoping someone here will.

I didn't know if should post this on the 401(k) board instead.

THE QUESTION:

When the employer has both a DB and DC plan and the DB plan goes from being PBGC covered to not PBGC covered , what is the deduction limit for the DC plan?

If it helps, keep in mind that the employer had to pay full year PBGC premiums per the PBGC instructions, even though coverage was for only part of the year.

My analysis so far:

When an employer sponsors both a DC and DB plan, the deduction limit as provided in IRC §404(a)(7)(A) generally applies. This provides in part:

404(a)(7)(A)

If amounts are deductible under the foregoing paragraphs of this subsection (other than paragraph (5)) in connection with 1 or more defined contribution plans and 1 or more defined benefit plans or in connection with trusts or plans described in 2 or more of such paragraphs, the total amount deductible in a taxable year under such plans shall not exceed the greater of—

(i) 25 percent of the compensation otherwise paid or accrued during the taxable year to the beneficiaries under such plans, or

(ii) the amount of contributions made to or under the defined benefit plans to the extent such contributions do not exceed the amount of employer contributions necessary to satisfy the minimum funding standard provided by section 412 with respect to any such defined benefit plans for the plan year which ends with or within such taxable year (or for any prior plan year).”

A defined contribution plan which is a pension plan shall not be treated as failing to provide definitely determinable benefits merely by limiting employer contributions to amounts deductible under this section. In the case of a defined benefit plan which is a single employer plan, the amount necessary to satisfy the minimum funding standard provided by section 412 shall not be less than the excess (if any) of the plan’s funding target (as defined in section 430 (d)(1)) over the value of the plan’s assets (as determined under section 430 (g)(3)).

There are exceptions to 404(a)(7)(A) outlined in 404(a)(7)©. Paragraph not to apply in certain cases

One notable exception is :

404(a)(7)©(iv). Guaranteed plans In applying this paragraph, any single-employer plan covered under section 4021 of the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 shall not be taken into account.

Well, §4021 of ERISA happens to be the part that explains which plans are subject to coverage under PBGC. It is is also known as 29 U.S.C $1321 if someone is having a hard time finding the code reference.

This means that the employer doesn’t have to take into account any PBGC covered DB plan when looking at the deduction limit. Per 404(a)(7)(A)(i) the limit for the remaining DC plan would just be the typical 25%.

But what is the deduction limit for the DC plan when the DB plan status changes during the year?

I'm a stranger on the internet. Nothing I write is tax or legal advice. 

I'd like a witty saying here, but I don't have any. When in doubt, what does the plan document say?

Yes. We requested a coverage determination and the PBGC confirmed the plan is no longer covered and noted that 2014 is the last year that the premium is due.

I'm a stranger on the internet. Nothing I write is tax or legal advice. 

I'd like a witty saying here, but I don't have any. When in doubt, what does the plan document say?

I guess it is not clear from the law perspective.

Since it was covered as the beginning of plan year, you will be filing 2014 PBGC premium, and you will pay full premium amount without any proration, I would probably treat it as covered for the 2014 tax deduction purposes.

I would suggest to run it by ERISA attorney and/or tax advisor.