Jump to content

Repairing excess Rollover with Re-characterization?

Recommended Posts

Can IRA owner rollover error be repaired during current tax year cycle?

In February, 60 year old IRA owner takes $8,000 distribution.

In March, replaces funds as a “Rollover Contribution”.

In December, changes IRA custodians,


Original custodian sends check made out to IRA owner’s name (e.g. a rollover) instead of new Custodian’s name (e.g. a custodian-to-custodian transfer).

IRA owner deposits check in new IRA with Custodian B.

Since IRA owner has not completed tax forms for the year, can he remedy through re-characterization?

For example:

Re-characterize $6,500 of the $8,000 March Rollover Contribution as a Regular Contribution,

Withdraw the extra $1,500 as an excess contribution,

Deposit the extra $1,500 as a regular contribution to spouse IRA to mitigate the income tax?

Or are other remedies available, given that this is within the current tax year cycle?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Proposed strategy makes sense to me.

From what little reading I've done just now: If we could go back in time, we'd treat the $8000 as a Roth conversion, put it in a Roth account and then immediately recharacterize it back to a traditional IRA. But the proverbial cat is already out of the bag.

Kurt Vonnegut: 'To be is to do'-Socrates 'To do is to be'-Jean-Paul Sartre 'Do be do be do'-Frank Sinatra

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...