Restatement when Plan Sponser MIA

Zorro1k

Individual receiving benefits from plan is the only remaining participant in plan. Plan sponsor is no longer around. Advisor wants to know if plan needs to be restated for PPA. If not, why? If so, how should they go about restating?

Who was the trustee of the plan? They probably still have the authority (and the duty, probably) to terminate this plan.

There was a plan fiduciary, and they are probably still PERSONALLY liable. Who signed the last Form 5500 filing? Maybe there were no damages to sue over, but (speaking as a non-lawyer) a threatening-sounding letter might prompt them to formally terminate the plan.

Last time I looked, plan participants had neither the authority nor the responsibility to restate a plan.

Always check with your actuary first!

Yes plan needs to stay current with all applicable law including restatements.

How is the 5500 being filed if the sponsor no longer around?

Why on earth hasn't this plan been terminated if the sponsor is not around and only paying out benefits?

Lastly is this a DC or DB plan? They have different restatement deadlines.

Plan sponsor is no longer around.

What does this mean?

A plan must have a sponsor. If the sponsor no longer exists, the plan provisions may automatically terminate it.

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.