TIN Application and Form 945 filing Notice URGENT REQUEST TO THIS GROUP

CDA TPA

I just applied for a TIN for a 401k plan than with an effective date of 1/1/2020.  The plan did not previously have a TIN.  There was one participant, the owner, with a brokerage account.  They plan will have 2 more owner participants in 2024.  I took over the plan from a prior TPA and applied for the TIN online. 

The confirmation letter says "Based on the information received from you, you must file the following forms by the dates shown:  Form 945, 3/19/2024. After our review of your information, we have determined that you have not filed tax returns for the above mentioned tax period(s) dating as far back as 2021.  Please file your returns(s) by 4/3/2024."

WHAT?!?!  This plan has never had a distribution and no withholding required.  What did I do wrong?  Did I get this guy in trouble?  His personal and business taxes are all ok.  Help please!!!

There should be information in the letter on how to contact the IRS, including a telephone number.  If not, try calling the number which appears in the instructions 800-829-4933.  Have a copy of the letter in hand when you make the call and explain the situation.

It is difficult to know what possibly may have triggered the message in the letter without seeing the information submitted with the application.  EINs are used by many entities and for many purposes, and a single entry can throw the process off track.

I am guessing it is an auto-generated notice.  You must file 945 if you have to file but you do not.  Just ignore it?

Paul, the IRS rep will not discuss the plan related issues in details unless the practioners provides a POA

Thank you everyone!  I called the 1-800 number and they passed me around to literally 5 different departments.  Not a single person could answer my question or direct me to the right department.  I'll send a letter.

Thanks again!