So very sorry to get this news. Mike Preston was one of my favorite people in the industry.  When we both practiced in Southern California, we spoke often, and he was always kind, always patient, always ready to explain to a nonactuary what I needed to know.  When I attended actuarial sessions and discussions he led at ASPPA and other conferences, I was always impressed with his knowledge and leadership.  My heart goes out to his wife, Linda, and their family.  I will miss him!

10 minutes ago, Below Ground said:

While I did not know Mike personally, I did benefit from exchanges with him.  My prayers and condolences go out to his family.

I second that.  This is a huge loss to the retirement benefit practitioners community.  Let him rest in peace and condolences to his family.

Very sorry to hear this.  

Mike was a really important resource and contributor for a long time and could always be counted on to keep wayward commenters on their toes and in check!

But he’d apologize for his sometimes abrupt “online personality” in person.    

They didn’t make two of him! He will be missed.  

So sorry to hear about Mike.   I (Jim Norman) was fortunate enough to be a PIX sysop along with Mike. I learned a lot from him, he was incredibly generous with his knowledge.  I also really enjoyed the occasions when we got together.  He was one of the good guys.   RIP Mike.  

I carry stuff uphill for others who get all the glory.