Noon - 1pm (Central)
Earlier this month, Oklahoma began issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples after the U.S. Supreme Court left intact a federal court’s decision overturning the state’s ban on same-sex marriage. The trend is growing, and it is anticipated that same-sex unions will soon be legal in a majority of U.S. states.
We are reconvening a panel of McAfee & Taft attorneys to discuss and explain what the recent legalization of same-sex marriage in Oklahoma means for employers, including those with multi-state operations.
During this one-hour complimentary webinar, employee benefits attorney Jim Prince, employment attorney Paul Ross, and moderator Charlie Plumb will break down the Windsor and Bishop rulings, discuss employer obligations regarding the treatment of same-sex spouses under federal law, and provide analysis of what controversies may still lie ahead.
Topics covered include:
- A recap of what the Windsor ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court and the Bishop ruling by the 10th Circuit did ... and didn’t do
- What employers need to be doing right now to ensure legal compliance
- Employer requirements regarding tax-qualified retirement plans
- Issues of particular interest to governmental employers
- Benefit plans not subject to ERISA: Do legal challenges lie ahead?
- Employer options and requirements regarding health care coverage
- Should private-sector employers who offer health coverage provide equal treatment to same-sex spouses … even if it isn’t required?
- COBRA, FSA and HSA requirements
- Practical and legal challenges for multi-state employers
- Assessing the risks ahead: “Disparate impact” and potential Title VII discrimination claims
- Administering FMLA spousal leave
Continue by clicking on the following link: