Determining a Social Security strategy can be one of the most complicated processes that people across the U.S. face as they reach retirement. Clients will be looking for guidance on when to claim it, and as an advisor, it can be difficult to keep up with all the changes to the system and options available for each client. Where do you start? How do you approach each clients’ situation to determine what’s best for them?
We’re joined by Brian Doherty, President of Filtech and author of Getting Paid to Wait, to discuss the ins and outs of claiming Social Security and the role you can play in the process as a financial advisor – including how you can build client loyalty by proactively discussing it even if you’re not being paid to do so.
In this episode:
- The foundation: What Social Security is, who can claim it, where it comes from
- How cost of living adjustments play into Social Security benefits
- Can you “redo” your claim if you’ve already claimed it before?
- The much-talked-about role that changing demographics plays
- What happens during or after a divorce?
- Proactively discussing Social Security can mean a big loyalty boost
Speaker: Brian Doherty, President, Filtech, Author, Getting Paid to Wait
- Emily Larsen, Product Strategy Manager, BMO Global Asset Management
- Ben D. Jones, Managing Director - Intermediary Distribution, BMO Global Asset Management
Continue by clicking on the following link: