At first glance, the elapsed time method for calculating service seems like a promising idea. No need to bother with hours of service. Just keep track of when people are hired and fired and let the chips fall where they may. Indeed, it can offer advantages where employers don’t have systems for accurately calculating hours of service. But the reality is often different, and the results frequently not to anyone’s liking.
This one hour program explores the ins and outs of elapsed time, including:
- Overview and key concepts
- Periods of service
- Service spanning
- Use in eligibility and vesting
- Separation / severance from service
- Part time employees
After the seminar, attendees should be able to:
- Explain the key concepts in the elapsed time system
- Determine an employee’s periods of service
- Apply the service spanning rules
- Identify the advantages and risks of the elapsed time method
Speaker: David Schultz, J.D.
Continue by clicking on the following link: