|MINNEAPOLIS, December 14, 2004 — American Express Retirement Services announced today that it has expanded its Financial Education and Planning Services program to include new workplace seminars and one-on-one sessions that educate employees on financial issues to assist in planning for the present and for retirement years. The financial education seminar programs are designed to help participants better understand their personal relationship with money, the importance of financial planning in today’s environment, the financial impact of significant life events, and how to best achieve their personal financial goals.
"There are many complex issues which affect an individual’s financial situation, both now and during retirement. Companies need to empower their employees with financial knowledge in order to help them get on the best possible financial track," said Rusty Field, vice president of Financial Education and Planning Services. "We have extended onsite education offerings beyond seminars to include one-on-one consultations with advisors, roundtables and tabling events. Each of the new seminars and personal sessions speaks to a unique financial trend we have seen throughout this past year and educates employees and plan participants on the most appropriate ways for them to better manage their unique financial situation."
The new education components include:
• Road to Retirement – Focuses on thinking about sources of income in retirement, what benefits continue in retirement and what gaps may need to be covered in retirement.
• Insuring What Matters Most – Educates participants on protection planning, covering not only protecting financial assets for the people left behind but also insuring their greatest asset—their ability to earn an income.
• Benefits Enrollment Sessions – Provides an overview of the benefits available to the employee so they can effectively evaluate, weigh and choose options for benefits. These seminars cover issues such as: Health, Survivor and Disability, Retirement and Work/Life Balance.
• Health Care 2004 – Reviews the trends contributing to the rising cost of health care, explains health care issues that affect employees’ unique situations, and identifies steps they can take to manage increasing health care costs without sacrificing retirement or other savings.
• 401(k) Statement Review – Designed to provide employees with the information they need to help make well-informed decisions on their retirement investments.
• Pre-Retirement Check-up – These one-on-one consultations allow employees to assess how well-positioned they are for retirement by considering not only their own situation and investments but also those of a spouse or partner. Individuals can use information obtained through this review to determine the best course of action to achieve their retirement goals.
• Benefits Maximization – During these sessions, employees can review their benefit options and obtain information on topics such as new or changed benefits, savings plans, and choosing benefits that fit into their long-term financial goals.
(These one-on-one sessions and seminars are available to participants without charge.)
American Express Retirement Services, a service group of American Express Financial Advisors Inc., provides corporations, unions and municipalities, and their nearly 1 million workers nationwide with a complete package of financial education, recordkeeping, investments and trustee services for their qualified retirement plans. For more information on American Express Retirement Services, visit www.americanexpress.com/sponsors.
American Express Financial Advisors Inc. popularized early saving and investing programs for Americans more than 100 years ago, helping give rise to financial planning, mutual funds and retirement plans in the past century. Today, American Express continues its commitment to individuals and corporations with its Financial Education and Planning Services unit of American Express Retirement Services, which delivers workplace financial education programs to more than 2 million workers nationwide.
# # #
First use 12/04
Registered investments and financial planning services are offered through American Express Financial Advisors Inc., Member NASD. American Express Company is separate from American Express Financial Advisors Inc. and is not a broker-dealer. Retirement plan and trust-related services are offered through American Express Trust Company.