Coronavirus (COVID-19) News and Resources
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Webcasts
Subscribe to Free Daily Newsletters
Post a Job

Featured Jobs

Retirement Plan Administrator


SPS logo

Retirement Plan Administrator

Steidle Pension Solutions, LLC
(Lebanon NJ)

Steidle Pension Solutions, LLC logo

Retirement Plan Consultant

DWC - The 401(k) Experts

DWC - The 401(k) Experts logo

Defined Contribution Plan Administrator

(Phoenix AZ)

MGKS logo

Director of Regulatory Affairs

Health Plans Inc
(Westborough MA)

Health Plans Inc logo

Senior Plan Consultant

Jocelyn Pension Consulting
(Telecommute / San Rafael CA / Boulder CO)

Jocelyn Pension Consulting logo

Free Daily News and Jobs

“BenefitsLink continues to be the most valuable resource we have at the firm.”

-- An attorney subscriber

Get the BenefitsLink app LinkedIn

BenefitsLink > Q&A Columns >

Stop, Look & Listen: Railroad Retirement Benefits Q&A

Answers are provided by Robert S. Kaufman

Spouse Works for School District and Will Retire at End of School Year But Will Receive Pay During Summer Vacation

(Posted January 26, 2014)

Question 1102: A husband retired from railroad work after 30+ years and did not break his connection. His wife works for a school district. She turns 60 in February 2014 and will start receiving her spouse annuity in April. She will retire from school at the end of the school year in May. School pay goes from September to August, so unless she can get all of her summer earnings paid to her by May, she will receive a check in June, July, and August, even though she has not physically worked for the school in those three months. How will that effect her spouse annuity? Also, she will be compensated for unused sick leave. Will this compensation be exempt from her annual earnings maximum of $15,480?

Answer: The fact that the wife is paid on a twelve month year can affect her Spouse Annuity. She should contact the Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) and pose these questions about being paid over the summer and the effect of receiving a lump-sum payment for accrued sick leave after she retires. The RRB's toll-free number is: (847) 772-5772.

Important notice:

Answers are provided as general guidance on the subjects covered in the question and are not provided as legal advice to the questioner or to readers. Any legal issues should be reviewed by your legal counsel to apply the law to the particular facts of this and similar situations.

The law in this area changes frequently. Answers are believed to be correct as of the posting dates shown. The completeness or accuracy of a particular answer may be affected by changes in the law (statutes, regulations, rulings, court decisions, etc.) that occur after the date on which a particular Q&A is posted.

Copyright 1997-2017 Robert S. Kaufman
Related links:

(restricted access)

(restricted access)

© 2020, Inc.