BenefitsLink logo
EmployeeBenefitsJobs logo
Featured Jobs

Retirement Plan Consultant (Portland OR / Telecommute)

Retirement Plan Administrator (Fort Worth TX)
Retirement Plan Administrator (Colorado Springs CO / Telecommute)

Senior Defined Contribution Account Manager (Houston TX / Dallas TX / Austin TX / Scottsdale AZ / Telecommute)
Senior Retirement Plan Administrator (Philadelphia PA / Telecommute)

Plan Administrator (Lake Mary FL / Richmond VA / Dallas TX / Los Angeles CA)
Free Daily News and Jobs

“BenefitsLink continues to be the most valuable resource we have at the firm.”
-- An attorney subscriber
Get the BenefitsLink appLinkedIn

BenefitsLink > Q&A Columns >

Stop, Look & Listen: Railroad Retirement Benefits Q&A

Answers are provided by Robert S. Kaufman

Rechecking Information Furnished by the Railroad Retirement Board

(Posted August 20, 2002)

Question 189: How can I find someone outside of the government to recheck an annuity estimate given to me by the Railroad Retirement Board?

Answer: Finding someone in the private sector who is knowledgeable enough to compute a complete Railroad Retirement Benefit may be difficult but not impossible. You can try to find an actuary who may be willing. Or a lawyer who specializes either in handling appeals from Railroad Retirement beneficiaries or in personal injury cases involving railroad workers. If you still have connections with your railroad brotherhood, they could be helpful in pointing you to a qualified person.

Be prepared to pay a substantial fee though because it is a very difficult and time-consuming process to do all of the calculations manually.

The American Academy of Actuaries sponsors a program under which actuaries volunteer to provide their services to individuals who have retirement plan questions, called the Pension Assistance List (PAL).

For more information about the program, see this web page: (click here)

You'll also find a link on that page entitled "Request assistance from PAL" -- that's the online form to use when requesting help.

Important notice:

Answers are provided as general guidance on the subjects covered in the question and are not provided as legal advice to the questioner or to readers. Any legal issues should be reviewed by your legal counsel to apply the law to the particular facts of this and similar situations.

The law in this area changes frequently. Answers are believed to be correct as of the posting dates shown. The completeness or accuracy of a particular answer may be affected by changes in the law (statutes, regulations, rulings, court decisions, etc.) that occur after the date on which a particular Q&A is posted.

Copyright 1997-2017 Robert S. Kaufman
Related links:
About Us


Privacy Policy

Post a Job

Advertise in the BenefitsLink Newsletters

Add Your Company to the Directory of Vendors and Software

Submit a News Item, Press Release, Webcast or Conference

Contact Us

Payment Portal

© 2019, Inc.