Coronavirus (COVID-19) News and Resources
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Webcasts
Subscribe to Free Daily Newsletters
Post a Job

Featured Jobs

Director of Regulatory Affairs

Health Plans Inc
(Westborough MA)

Health Plans Inc logo

Retirement Plan Administrator

Steidle Pension Solutions, LLC
(Lebanon NJ)

Steidle Pension Solutions, LLC logo

Retirement Plan Administrator


SPS logo

Senior Plan Consultant

Jocelyn Pension Consulting
(Telecommute / San Rafael CA / Boulder CO)

Jocelyn Pension Consulting logo

Retirement Plan Consultant

DWC - The 401(k) Experts

DWC - The 401(k) Experts logo

Free Daily News and Jobs

“BenefitsLink continues to be the most valuable resource we have at the firm.”

-- An attorney subscriber

Get the BenefitsLink app LinkedIn

BenefitsLink > Q&A Columns >

Stop, Look & Listen: Railroad Retirement Benefits Q&A

Answers are provided by Robert S. Kaufman

Getting Information After a Divorce

(Posted January 23, 2003)

Question 208: My final divorce decree granted me a percentage of my former husband's Railroad Retirement benefit. I have had no recent contact with him and I don't know when I'm entitled to start receiving my share. How can I find out?

Answer: Here's how it's supposed to work when a spouse of a rail worker is awarded a portion of the worker's Railroad Retirement benefits as part of a divorce settlement: A copy of the final divorce decree is sent to the General Counsel of the United States Railroad Retirement Board at 844 North Rush Street in Chicago, Illinois 60611, together with the names, addresses and Social Security numbers of both parties. The RRB holds the information until the rail worker files for benefits. It then divides the Tier 2 amount according to the terms in the divorce decree and begins payement to both parties.

I suggest you contact the attorney who represented you in the divorce to see if a copy of the decree was sent to the RRB. After talking to the attorney, if you still have doubts you should write to the RRB General Counsel (at the above address) to see if your former husband has filed for benefits and to confirm the RRB has the required information in the files. It wouldn't hurt to enclose a copy of your final divorce decree.

Important notice:

Answers are provided as general guidance on the subjects covered in the question and are not provided as legal advice to the questioner or to readers. Any legal issues should be reviewed by your legal counsel to apply the law to the particular facts of this and similar situations.

The law in this area changes frequently. Answers are believed to be correct as of the posting dates shown. The completeness or accuracy of a particular answer may be affected by changes in the law (statutes, regulations, rulings, court decisions, etc.) that occur after the date on which a particular Q&A is posted.

Copyright 1997-2017 Robert S. Kaufman
Related links:

(restricted access)

(restricted access)

© 2020, Inc.