Coronavirus (COVID-19) News and Resources
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Webcasts
Subscribe to Free Daily Newsletters
Post a Job

Featured Jobs

Retirement Plan Administrator
SPS logo
Retirement Plan Administrator
Steidle Pension Solutions, LLC logo
Steidle Pension Solutions, LLC
(Lebanon NJ)
ESOP Administrator
Blue Ridge ESOP Associates logo
Blue Ridge ESOP Associates
(Charlottesville VA / Telecommute)

Free Daily News and Jobs

“BenefitsLink continues to be the most valuable resource we have at the firm.”

-- An attorney subscriber

Get the BenefitsLink app LinkedIn

BenefitsLink > Q&A Columns >

Stop, Look & Listen: Railroad Retirement Benefits Q&A

Answers are provided by Robert S. Kaufman

Self Employment Following Retirement

(Posted January 29, 2003)

Question 213: My wife and I have been retired under Railroad Retirement for more than a year. We have formed an LLC (a Limited Liability Corporation) to start a new business. Neither of us plans to draw a salary; I will receive a "distribution" from the LLC.

Do I have to tell the RRB about the LLC? And will the "distribution" that I will receive have any affect on either Tier 1 or Tier 2?

Answer: The arrangement you have described might affect your Railroad Retirement benefits, depending on your ages and the purpose of your new business. Normally, earnings from "passive" investments such as stocks, bonds, bank accounts, real estate & other business investments do not count against the earnings limit. But when you are actively engaged in the day-to-day activities of a business activity, the RRB may find that this is self employment & the amount you receive from the business counts against the earnings limit.

One other note of caution. The RRB has completly freedom to determine if a work activity is "employment" or "self employment". This is true regardless of how the renumeration is reported to IRS for income tax purposes or to Social Security.

If you are already past 65, earnings restrictions for Tier 1 no longer apply to you. However, if your work activity is determined to be "restricted employment" your earnings could affect your Tier 2 regardless of your age, or even the payment of your entire annuity.

In order to protect your future benfits and those of your wife, I strongly recommend that you submit the details to the RRB; ask them to review the facts and give you a formal decision. This will prevent a large overpayment from happening.

Important notice:

Answers are provided as general guidance on the subjects covered in the question and are not provided as legal advice to the questioner or to readers. Any legal issues should be reviewed by your legal counsel to apply the law to the particular facts of this and similar situations.

The law in this area changes frequently. Answers are believed to be correct as of the posting dates shown. The completeness or accuracy of a particular answer may be affected by changes in the law (statutes, regulations, rulings, court decisions, etc.) that occur after the date on which a particular Q&A is posted.

Copyright 1997-2017 Robert S. Kaufman
Related links:

(restricted access)

(restricted access)

© 2020, Inc.