Coronavirus (COVID-19) News and Resources
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Webcasts
Subscribe to Free Daily Newsletters
Post a Job

Featured Jobs

Retirement Plan Administrator
Steidle Pension Solutions, LLC logo
Steidle Pension Solutions, LLC
(Lebanon NJ)
401(k) Associate
Blue Ridge ESOP Associates logo
Blue Ridge ESOP Associates
(Charlottesville VA / Telecommute)
Retirement Plan Administrator
SPS logo
Retirement Plan Consultant
Cetera Retirement Plan Specialists logo
Cetera Retirement Plan Specialists
ESOP Administrator
Blue Ridge ESOP Associates logo
Blue Ridge ESOP Associates
(Charlottesville VA / Telecommute)

Free Daily News and Jobs

“BenefitsLink continues to be the most valuable resource we have at the firm.”

-- An attorney subscriber

Get the BenefitsLink app LinkedIn

BenefitsLink > Q&A Columns >

Stop, Look & Listen: Railroad Retirement Benefits Q&A

Answers are provided by Robert S. Kaufman

Problems Getting Medicare Claims Paid

(Posted February 25, 2003)

Question 220: I'm having trouble getting my Medicare claims paid. I've been told that there are problems with the Medicare master computer records. My birth date is wrong and there's no record of Medicare Part B, although monthly premiums have been deducted from my Railroad Retirement for over a year. Please tell me what I need to do to be this situation straightened out.

Answer: The Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) needs to correct the errors in the master Medicare computer record. And they need to do this immediately! Call the nearest Distict Office of the RRB and explain the situation. They should be able to resolve this in fairly short order.

Medicare records for Railroad Retirement beneficiaries are maintained by the RRB even though they are compiled in the National Medicare computer file.

Also, there are special payment arrangements for Part B Medicare claims for Railroad Retirement. The RRB has selected a single insurance carrier to handle all of its Medicare Part B claims. Currently the RRB Medicare Carrier is Palmetto GBA in Augusta, Georgia. You can call their Customer Service Unit toll-free at 1-800-833-4455, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5:15 p.m Eastern time. The address is: Railroad Medicare Part B, P.O. Box 10066, Augusta, GA 30999.

Be sure that claims for Medicare Part B are filed with Palmetto GBA and not the regular Medicare carrier serving the area in which you live. Your unique Railroad Retirement Claim Number with the prefix "A" or "D" must be used for each claim.

Important notice:

Answers are provided as general guidance on the subjects covered in the question and are not provided as legal advice to the questioner or to readers. Any legal issues should be reviewed by your legal counsel to apply the law to the particular facts of this and similar situations.

The law in this area changes frequently. Answers are believed to be correct as of the posting dates shown. The completeness or accuracy of a particular answer may be affected by changes in the law (statutes, regulations, rulings, court decisions, etc.) that occur after the date on which a particular Q&A is posted.

Copyright 1997-2017 Robert S. Kaufman
Related links:

(restricted access)

(restricted access)

© 2020, Inc.