BenefitsLink logo
EmployeeBenefitsJobs logo
Featured Jobs

Retirement Plan Administrator (Fort Worth TX)
Retirement Plan Administrator (Colorado Springs CO / Telecommute)

Senior Defined Contribution Account Manager (Houston TX / Dallas TX / Austin TX / Scottsdale AZ / Telecommute)
Senior Retirement Plan Administrator (Philadelphia PA / Telecommute)

Plan Administrator (Lake Mary FL / Richmond VA / Dallas TX / Los Angeles CA)
Free Daily News and Jobs

“BenefitsLink continues to be the most valuable resource we have at the firm.”
-- An attorney subscriber
Get the BenefitsLink appLinkedIn

BenefitsLink > Q&A Columns >

Stop, Look & Listen: Railroad Retirement Benefits Q&A

Answers are provided by Robert S. Kaufman

Estimating Future Survivor Benefits

(Posted March 2, 2003)

Question 224: How can my mother get an accurate estimate of the widow's benefit she could receive if my stepfather dies before she does?
My stepfather does not have a "Current Connection," so any survivor benefits will be paid by Social Security based on his combined earnings under Railroad Retirement and Social Security. I've gotten the runaround from both Railroad Retirement and Social Security. Each agency referred me to the other; neither one wants to help us with this problem. The prevailing wisdom seems to be wait until my stepfather dies. He feels awkward in pressing the subject but I feel it's essental for my mother to know her financial situation in the event of her husband's death.

Answer: We've got to get beyond this bureaucratic quagmire! In my opinion, both agencies have a responsibility to your family to help provide information needed for future planning.

Here's what I suggest. Call the local RRB office and give them a final opportunity to furnish your stepfather with the information in writing. I'm suggesting the RRB office over the SSA office because the RRB already has the record of your stepfather's combined earnings, and they have done some of the calculations that will yield your mother's future SSA widow's benefit.

If they still balk at doing it, calmly explain that you're planning to contact your Congressman in order to ask him to intercede on your family's behalf. Then call your local Congressional office and ask to talk to the Social Security/Railroad Retirement staffer. I hope the information is forthcoming!

Important notice:

Answers are provided as general guidance on the subjects covered in the question and are not provided as legal advice to the questioner or to readers. Any legal issues should be reviewed by your legal counsel to apply the law to the particular facts of this and similar situations.

The law in this area changes frequently. Answers are believed to be correct as of the posting dates shown. The completeness or accuracy of a particular answer may be affected by changes in the law (statutes, regulations, rulings, court decisions, etc.) that occur after the date on which a particular Q&A is posted.

Copyright 1997-2017 Robert S. Kaufman
Related links:
About Us


Privacy Policy

Post a Job

Advertise in the BenefitsLink Newsletters

Add Your Company to the Directory of Vendors and Software

Submit a News Item, Press Release, Webcast or Conference

Contact Us

Payment Portal

© 2019, Inc.