Coronavirus (COVID-19) News and Resources
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Webcasts
Subscribe to Free Daily Newsletters
Post a Job

Featured Jobs

Retirement Plan Administrator
SPS logo
ESOP Administrator
Blue Ridge ESOP Associates logo
Blue Ridge ESOP Associates
(Charlottesville VA / Telecommute)
Retirement Plan Administrator
Steidle Pension Solutions, LLC logo
Steidle Pension Solutions, LLC
(Lebanon NJ)

Free Daily News and Jobs

“BenefitsLink continues to be the most valuable resource we have at the firm.”

-- An attorney subscriber

Get the BenefitsLink app LinkedIn

BenefitsLink > Q&A Columns >

Stop, Look & Listen: Railroad Retirement Benefits Q&A

Answers are provided by Robert S. Kaufman

Reporting Fraud to Office of Inspector General

(Posted March 2, 2004; revised March 4, 2004)

Question 393: I know a married woman who is still drawing a Widow's Benefit from Railroad Retirement. Can anything be done?

Answer: If you suspect fraud, program abuse, or even waste in Railroad Retirement, you should report it to the RRB Office of Inspector General (called the "OIG"). The OIG is completely independent of the RRB. He or she is is appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate.

The OIG has a toll-free hotline at (800) 772-4258.

Reports also can be made by mail addressed to:

OIG Hotline Officer
844 North Rush Street, 4th Floor
Chicago, IL 60611-2092

Or, you could use email:

I've forwarded your complaint to the OIG Hotline. All reports are confidential and can be made anonymously. Remember, Railroad Retirement does continue payments at a reduced rate to a widow after remarriage if certain conditions are met.

(Post Scrip
The OIG has assigned the complaint to an investigator who is now conducting a complete investigation of the case.)

Important notice:

Answers are provided as general guidance on the subjects covered in the question and are not provided as legal advice to the questioner or to readers. Any legal issues should be reviewed by your legal counsel to apply the law to the particular facts of this and similar situations.

The law in this area changes frequently. Answers are believed to be correct as of the posting dates shown. The completeness or accuracy of a particular answer may be affected by changes in the law (statutes, regulations, rulings, court decisions, etc.) that occur after the date on which a particular Q&A is posted.

Copyright 1997-2017 Robert S. Kaufman
Related links:

(restricted access)

(restricted access)

© 2020, Inc.