Coronavirus (COVID-19) News and Resources
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Webcasts
Subscribe to Free Daily Newsletters
Post a Job

Featured Jobs

ESOP Administrator
Blue Ridge ESOP Associates logo
Blue Ridge ESOP Associates
(Charlottesville VA / Telecommute)
Retirement Plan Administrator
SPS logo
Retirement Plan Consultant
Cetera Retirement Plan Specialists logo
Cetera Retirement Plan Specialists
401(k) Associate
Blue Ridge ESOP Associates logo
Blue Ridge ESOP Associates
(Charlottesville VA / Telecommute)
Retirement Plan Administrator
Steidle Pension Solutions, LLC logo
Steidle Pension Solutions, LLC
(Lebanon NJ)

Free Daily News and Jobs

“BenefitsLink continues to be the most valuable resource we have at the firm.”

-- An attorney subscriber

Get the BenefitsLink app LinkedIn

BenefitsLink > Q&A Columns >

Stop, Look & Listen: Railroad Retirement Benefits Q&A

Answers are provided by Robert S. Kaufman

Tell the RRB As Soon As Possible When Certain Events Happen

(Posted February 12, 2000)

Question 43: I've been retired for about 20 years. My wife passed away 4 years ago, and I have recently remarried. Should I tell the Railroad Retirement Board, and what is the address?

Answer: You should notify the RRB immediately!

Important events including the death of a spouse need to be reported to the Railroad Retirement Board as soon as possible so the RRB can take timely action to adjust benefit payments. This will help avoid an overpayment that could cause hardship later on, when your monthly payments may be interrupted to recover the erronous overpayments. Also, the RRB needs to take action to start payments to newly qualified people like a new husband or wife.

To contact the RRB, you can write, call, or e-mail the nearest RRB local office. You can find the location of the office serving your area on the Web by following the instructions in Question 9 of this column.

You also can write or call the RRB's headquarters in Chicago:

United States Railroad Retirement Board
844 North Rush Street
Chicago, IL 60611-2092

(312) 751-5500

Be sure to include your name and Railroad Retirement Claim Number(for most people, it's the employee's Social Security Number).

Important notice:

Answers are provided as general guidance on the subjects covered in the question and are not provided as legal advice to the questioner or to readers. Any legal issues should be reviewed by your legal counsel to apply the law to the particular facts of this and similar situations.

The law in this area changes frequently. Answers are believed to be correct as of the posting dates shown. The completeness or accuracy of a particular answer may be affected by changes in the law (statutes, regulations, rulings, court decisions, etc.) that occur after the date on which a particular Q&A is posted.

Copyright 1997-2017 Robert S. Kaufman
Related links:

(restricted access)

(restricted access)

© 2020, Inc.