Featured Jobs

Retirement Plan Administrator (Kennett Square PA)

Senior Qualified Plan Administrator (Miamisburg OH)

NQ Client Services Manager (Lake Mary FL / Dallas TX)

Regional Sales Vice President, Outside Retirement Sales Consultant (Marlton NJ / Telecommute)

Compliance Manager (Ponte Vedra Beach FL)

Compliance Administrator III (Chico CA / Telecommute)

Free Daily News and Jobs

“BenefitsLink continues to be the most valuable resource we have at the firm.”

-- An attorney subscriber

Get the BenefitsLink app LinkedIn

BenefitsLink > Q&A Columns >

Stop, Look & Listen: Railroad Retirement Benefits Q&A

Answers are provided by Robert S. Kaufman

Starting the Disability Application Process

(Posted July 9, 2004)

Question 480: I've had 5 years of physical and mental anguish. Can I ask my family doctor to support me for permanent disability benefits? What's the first step?

Answer: You should begin the process as soon as your believe that you can no longer do any type of regular work because of a physical or mental condition. When this happens, you should contact the nearest RRB district office and request their assistance in filing an application for a Disability Annuity. They will request your personal doctor to fill out a form. They may request hospital and other records, which will help the RRB evaluate your condition. The Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) might obtain objective medical evidence from several sources in addition to your personal physician.

There is a direct link to the RRB web site at the bottom of this Q&A. Use that to find the RRB District office serving your area.

Important notice:

Answers are provided as general guidance on the subjects covered in the question and are not provided as legal advice to the questioner or to readers. Any legal issues should be reviewed by your legal counsel to apply the law to the particular facts of this and similar situations.

The law in this area changes frequently. Answers are believed to be correct as of the posting dates shown. The completeness or accuracy of a particular answer may be affected by changes in the law (statutes, regulations, rulings, court decisions, etc.) that occur after the date on which a particular Q&A is posted.

Copyright 1997-2017 Robert S. Kaufman
Related links:

(restricted access)

(restricted access)

© 2019 BenefitsLink.com, Inc.