BenefitsLink logo
EmployeeBenefitsJobs logo
Featured Jobs

Retirement Plan Administrator (Fort Worth TX)
Retirement Plan Administrator (Colorado Springs CO / Telecommute)

Senior Defined Contribution Account Manager (Houston TX / Dallas TX / Austin TX / Scottsdale AZ / Telecommute)
Senior Retirement Plan Administrator (Philadelphia PA / Telecommute)

Plan Administrator (Lake Mary FL / Richmond VA / Dallas TX / Los Angeles CA)
Free Daily News and Jobs

“BenefitsLink continues to be the most valuable resource we have at the firm.”
-- An attorney subscriber
Get the BenefitsLink appLinkedIn

BenefitsLink > Q&A Columns >

Stop, Look & Listen: Railroad Retirement Benefits Q&A

Answers are provided by Robert S. Kaufman

Disabled Worker Who Starts Working Again

(Posted January 30, 2008)

Question 651: Does being a member of a Board of Directors constitute "work"
that would reduce Railroad Retirement Disability Benefits? As a director, I attend meetings once per month and look at papers at home in between meetings. I am paid a director's fee, which is reported on Form 1099. I am receiving a disability annuity from RRB and I am still disabled, even though I can serve as a director. Will my director's fee reduce or eliminate my disability benefits?


Answer: Any work activity by a disability annuitant regardless of the amount of earnings has to be evaluated by the Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) to see if it is consistent with your disability condition. If the work activity is reconciled with your disability by the RRB, you would need to report your earnings to the RRB if you earn over $730 a month or $9,125 in a year. Most important, there is a penalty if your earnings are not reported timely.

You need to contact the District Office of the RRB serving your area and tell them about your employment. They will ask you about your duties, hours of work and your earnings. They will evaluate the information and then inform you if the work is consistent with your disability.

Important notice:

Answers are provided as general guidance on the subjects covered in the question and are not provided as legal advice to the questioner or to readers. Any legal issues should be reviewed by your legal counsel to apply the law to the particular facts of this and similar situations.

The law in this area changes frequently. Answers are believed to be correct as of the posting dates shown. The completeness or accuracy of a particular answer may be affected by changes in the law (statutes, regulations, rulings, court decisions, etc.) that occur after the date on which a particular Q&A is posted.

Copyright 1997-2017 Robert S. Kaufman
Related links:
About Us


Privacy Policy

Post a Job

Advertise in the BenefitsLink Newsletters

Add Your Company to the Directory of Vendors and Software

Submit a News Item, Press Release, Webcast or Conference

Contact Us

Payment Portal

© 2019, Inc.