BenefitsLink > Q&A Columns >
Answers are provided by Robert S. Kaufman
Must Divorced Rail Workers Provide for Future Spouses?
(Posted January 30, 2013)
Question 962: I am a rail worker who is getting a divorce. If I keep all 100% of my Tier II in the settlement when I retire, will I draw 100% of the amount, or just 55% of the amount leaving 45% in case I do remarry?
Answer: A future Spouse will be eligible for a Spouse Annuity after one year, or reaching the eligibility age, whichever is later. Spouse benefits are provided by law so you don't have to withhold any part of your Tier 2 to provide them.
Answers are provided as general guidance on the subjects covered in the question and are not provided as legal advice
to the questioner or to readers. Any legal issues should be reviewed by your legal counsel to apply the
law to the particular facts of this and similar situations.
The law in this area changes frequently. Answers are believed to be correct as of the posting dates shown. The completeness
or accuracy of a particular answer may be affected by changes in the law (statutes, regulations, rulings, court decisions, etc.)
that occur after the date on which a particular Q&A is posted.
Copyright 1997-2017 Robert S. Kaufman