Subscribe (Free) to
Daily or Weekly Newsletters
Post a Job

Featured Jobs

Distribution \ Loan Clerk

Retirement, LLC
(Remote / Oklahoma City OK)

Retirement, LLC logo

Quality Assurance Manager

Bates & Company
(Remote / Winter Park FL)

Bates & Company logo

Retirement Plan Legal Specialist

Pentegra
(Remote / West Harrison NY)

Pentegra logo

401(k) Distribution Manager

Nova 401(k) Associates
(Remote)

Nova 401(k) Associates logo

Attorney

Central Pension Fund of the IUOE
(Washington DC)

Central Pension Fund of the IUOE logo

Defined Benefit Calculation Specialist/Actuary

The Angell Pension Group, Inc.
(Remote / East Providence RI)

The Angell Pension Group, Inc. logo

Relationship Manager

Compass Retirement Consulting Group, Inc.
(Remote / NH)

Compass Retirement Consulting Group, Inc. logo

Retirement Plan Relationship Manager

ERISA Services, Inc.
(Remote)

ERISA Services, Inc. logo

Retirement Plan Consultant

Carpenter Morse Group
(Remote)

Carpenter Morse Group logo

Executive Compensation Lawyer

Trucker Huss, A Professional Corporation
(Remote / San Francisco CA)

Trucker Huss, A Professional Corporation logo

Client Service Manager

United 401(k) Plans, Inc.
(Remote)

United 401(k) Plans, Inc. logo

Associate General Counsel

Central Pension Fund of the IUOE
(Washington DC)

Central Pension Fund of the IUOE logo

Retirement Plan Administrator

Nicholas Pension Consultants
(Remote / Corona CA / Rancho Cordova CA)

Nicholas Pension Consultants logo

Enrolled Actuary

Prime Pensions, Inc.
(Remote)

Prime Pensions, Inc. logo

View More Employee Benefits Jobs

Free Newsletters

“BenefitsLink continues to be the most valuable resource we have at the firm.”

-- An attorney subscriber

Mobile App image LinkedIn icon
Twitter icon
Facebook icon

BenefitsLink > Q&A Columns >

Who's the Employer?

Answers are provided by S. Derrin Watson, JD, APM

Exclusion of ESOP Stock

(Posted April 16, 2002)

Question 158: Corporation X owns 51% of Corporation Y. The remaining 49% is held by an ESOP sponsored by Corporation Y for the benefit of Corporation Y's employees. Are X and Y in a controlled group for all tax purposes?

Answer: Let's move out gradually on possible tax purposes. We'll start with IRC 415(h). That section says that a parent-subsidiary group exists for 415 purposes if the parent owns more than 50% of the subsidiary. Obviously, that applies here.

Next we'll go to IRC 1563, the general section determining whether a controlled group exists. IRC 1563(c)(2)(A)(i) says that if a parent owns at least 50% of a subsidiary, then you exclude any stock held by a deferred compensation plan (qualified or not) for employees of either the parent or the subsidiary. The ESOP is just such a plan, and X meets the ownership requirement. Accordingly, the stock held by the ESOP is excluded. That means Corporation X owns 100% of the nonexcluded Corporation Y stock. Accordingly a parent-subsidiary controlled group exists.

Now we move to IRC 414(b), the pension section. The exclusion rules are used in determining controlled group status for retirement plan purposes. So, for qualified plan purposes, the two corporations are a controlled group.

I recently had someone else ask me this very question for purposes of IRC 332, which deals with liquidation of subsidiaries. However, IRC 332 does not refer to the controlled group rules. Instead, it refers to the affiliated group rules used in filing consolidated returns. To have an affiliated group under IRC 1504, the parent must own actually 80% of the subsidiary. There's no attribution other than an extremely limited version of option attribution, and no exclusion rules other than exclusion of nonvoting preferred nonconvertible stock. Thus, the controlled group rules are not applicable to IRC 332 situations.

The exclusion rules are among the most complex of the controlled group area. I have devoted Chapter 8 of my book Who's the Employer to explaining and illustrating these rules.


Important notice:

Answers are provided as general guidance on the subjects covered in the question and are not provided as legal advice to the questioner or to readers. Any legal issues should be reviewed by your legal counsel to apply the law to the particular facts of this and similar situations.

The law in this area changes frequently. Answers are believed to be correct as of the posting dates shown. The completeness or accuracy of a particular answer may be affected by changes in the law (statutes, regulations, rulings, court decisions, etc.) that occur after the date on which a particular Q&A is posted.


Copyright 1999-2017 S. Derrin Watson
Related links:

(restricted access)

(restricted access)

© 2023 BenefitsLink.com, Inc.