Subscribe Now!
Free Daily News, Jobs, Webcasts, Discussions
Post and Distribute
Your Jobs
ARPA News
ARPA Webcasts

Featured Jobs

Director of Finance

NYCDC of Carpenters Benefit Funds
(New York NY)

Retirement Plan Consultant / Relationship Manager

Associated Pension Consultants
(Chico CA / Sacramento CA)

Associated Pension Consultants logo

Retirement Plan Administrator

My Benefits, LLC
(Telecommute / Daphne AL / Atlantic Beach FL)

My Benefits, LLC logo

Director of 401(k) Implementation, Core

Human Interest
(Telecommute / Mill Valley CA)

Human Interest logo

401(k) Implementation Manager

Human Interest
(Telecommute / San Francisco CA)

Human Interest logo

Retirement Plan Administrator

Bates & Company
(Telecommute / Winter Park FL)

Bates & Company logo

Retirement Plan Administrator

RSW & Associates
(CT / NJ / NY)

RSW & Associates logo

Retirement Plan Administrator (Account Manager)

Kushner & Company
(Telecommute / Portage MI)

Kushner & Company logo

Employee Benefits/Health and Welfare Attorney

Miller Johnson
(Telecommute / Grand Rapids MI / Kalamazoo MI / Detroit MI)

Miller Johnson logo

Product Support Consultant

ftwilliam.com part of Wolters Kluwer Legal & Regulatory
(Telecommute)

ftwilliam.com part of Wolters Kluwer Legal & Regulatory logo

Plan Document Specialist

Jocelyn Pension Consulting
(Telecommute / Boulder CO / San Rafael CA)

Jocelyn Pension Consulting logo

DC Retirement Plan Administrator

The Nolan Company
(Telecommute / Overland Park KS)

The Nolan Company logo

DC or DB Administrator

Farmer & Betts, Inc.
(Telecommute / Tacoma WA / Tualatin OR / Littleton CO)

Farmer & Betts, Inc. logo

DB/DC Administrator

Primark Benefits
(Telecommute / Burlingame CA)

Primark Benefits logo

401(k) Consultant

TPS Group
(Telecommute / North Haven CT)

TPS Group logo

DB Retirement Plan Administrator

The Nolan Company
(Telecommute / Overland Park KS)

The Nolan Company logo

Free Newsletters

“BenefitsLink continues to be the most valuable resource we have at the firm.”

-- An attorney subscriber

Mobile App image LinkedIn icon
Twitter icon
Facebook icon

BenefitsLink > Q&A Columns >

Who's the Employer?

Answers are provided by S. Derrin Watson, JD, APM

Attribution Mechanics

(Posted April 27, 2005)

Question 275: In Q&A 236, you stated that the attribution rules do not require that a single share of stock be treated as 2 shares. Under IRC 1563, if I have a husband and wife who each own 5% of a corporation, can I assume that neither owns more than 5%, or must I assume that one owns more than 5%? Are the rules the same under IRC 318? (Must I assume that at least one is a key and an HCE, and can I choose which one?)

Answer: Let me clarify things.

Suppose Husband owns 4% of C and Wife owns 4% of C. Together they own 8% of C. For controlled group purposes, you can treat Husband as owning the entire 8%, Wife as owning the entire 8%, Husband as owning 4% and Wife 4%, or any other combination, assuming the parties aren't divorced or legally separated. As between any pair of corporations, the ownership that will create a controlled group is the ownership you use.

Some people suggest, for controlled group purposes, Husband would own 8%, Wife would own 8%, and together they would own 16%. They are wrong. That's the "heresy" I address in Q&A 236.

How about HCEs? Here, we don't care about total interests of groups of individuals. All we care about is if this specific person owns more than 5%. And you use whatever attribution will make that person a 5%+ shareholder. So, assuming Husband and Wife are both employees, Husband owns 8% and Wife owns 8% for HCE purposes. Both are HCEs.

But let's change the facts. Suppose C is a potential B-Org and we want to know if Husband and Wife, who are HCEs of a potential First Service Organization, own at least 10% of C. The answer? No. The reasoning is the same as with a controlled group. Either one of them can own 8%, but when you put the two together, you don't have more than 8%. The thing that distinguishes this from the HCE question isn't the attribution system (1563 vs. 318). The key factor is that HCE status is determined on a person-by-person basis, while B-Org and controlled group status is based on ownership interests held by groups of people, interests that must be added together.


Important notice:

Answers are provided as general guidance on the subjects covered in the question and are not provided as legal advice to the questioner or to readers. Any legal issues should be reviewed by your legal counsel to apply the law to the particular facts of this and similar situations.

The law in this area changes frequently. Answers are believed to be correct as of the posting dates shown. The completeness or accuracy of a particular answer may be affected by changes in the law (statutes, regulations, rulings, court decisions, etc.) that occur after the date on which a particular Q&A is posted.


Copyright 1999-2017 S. Derrin Watson
Related links:

(restricted access)

(restricted access)

© 2021 BenefitsLink.com, Inc.