Subscribe Now!
Free Daily News, Jobs, Webcasts, Discussions
Post and Distribute
Your Jobs
ARPA News
ARPA Webcasts

Featured Jobs

Director of 401(k) Implementation, Core

Human Interest
(Telecommute / Mill Valley CA)

Human Interest logo

Plan Document Specialist

Jocelyn Pension Consulting
(Telecommute / Boulder CO / San Rafael CA)

Jocelyn Pension Consulting logo

Employee Benefits/Health and Welfare Attorney

Miller Johnson
(Telecommute / Grand Rapids MI / Kalamazoo MI / Detroit MI)

Miller Johnson logo

Retirement Plan Consultant / Relationship Manager

Associated Pension Consultants
(Chico CA / Sacramento CA)

Associated Pension Consultants logo

Product Support Consultant

ftwilliam.com part of Wolters Kluwer Legal & Regulatory
(Telecommute)

ftwilliam.com part of Wolters Kluwer Legal & Regulatory logo

401(k) Consultant

TPS Group
(Telecommute / North Haven CT)

TPS Group logo

Retirement Plan Administrator

My Benefits, LLC
(Telecommute / Daphne AL / Atlantic Beach FL)

My Benefits, LLC logo

Director of Finance

NYCDC of Carpenters Benefit Funds
(New York NY)

401(k) Implementation Manager

Human Interest
(Telecommute / San Francisco CA)

Human Interest logo

DC or DB Administrator

Farmer & Betts, Inc.
(Telecommute / Tacoma WA / Tualatin OR / Littleton CO)

Farmer & Betts, Inc. logo

Retirement Plan Administrator

RSW & Associates
(CT / NJ / NY)

RSW & Associates logo

DC Retirement Plan Administrator

The Nolan Company
(Telecommute / Overland Park KS)

The Nolan Company logo

DB/DC Administrator

Primark Benefits
(Telecommute / Burlingame CA)

Primark Benefits logo

Retirement Plan Administrator (Account Manager)

Kushner & Company
(Telecommute / Portage MI)

Kushner & Company logo

DB Retirement Plan Administrator

The Nolan Company
(Telecommute / Overland Park KS)

The Nolan Company logo

Retirement Plan Administrator

Bates & Company
(Telecommute / Winter Park FL)

Bates & Company logo

Free Newsletters

“BenefitsLink continues to be the most valuable resource we have at the firm.”

-- An attorney subscriber

Mobile App image LinkedIn icon
Twitter icon
Facebook icon

BenefitsLink > Q&A Columns >

Who's the Employer?

Answers are provided by S. Derrin Watson, JD, APM

1 Corporation Plus 1 Individual Shareholder Plus 1 Subsidiary Can Equal 1 Controlled Group

(Posted September 8, 2007)

Question 292: Mr. X owns 100% of Corporation A. Corporation A owns 70% of Corporation B; Mr. X owns the remaining 30%. Is this a controlled group?

Answer: Yes.

As I discuss this, I'll refer to the 4th edition of my book, Who's the Employer?. (Subscribers can click to view online the text of these references.)

There are two alternate ways of looking at the situation. Under either view, A and B are in a controlled group.

Parent-subsidiary. Let's look first at a parent-subsidiary group. A owns 70% of B. In and of itself, that is not enough to create a controlled group (except for purposes of 415); you need 80%. [Q 8:3.] For purposes of the controlled group rules, the corporation is not deemed to own the stock held by its sole shareholder (although a corporation is deemed to own stock held by its shareholder for purposes of the HCE or affiliated service group rules [Q 14:14]). However, if a corporation already holds more than 50% of a subsidiary, [Q 8:24], then the stock in that subsidiary held by the parent's principal shareholder is excluded. [Q 8:23.] Once you exclude the stock held by X, A owns 100% of the stock of B, and so A and B are in a parent-subsidiary controlled group.

Brother-sister. Now, let's examine things from the standpoint of a brother-sister group. X is deemed to own everything A owns. [Q 9:14.] Therefore, X is deemed to own 100% of B. So, X owns 100% of A and is deemed to own 100% of B. As such, A and B are in a brother-sister controlled group.

Any way you slice it, they're aggregated.


Important notice:

Answers are provided as general guidance on the subjects covered in the question and are not provided as legal advice to the questioner or to readers. Any legal issues should be reviewed by your legal counsel to apply the law to the particular facts of this and similar situations.

The law in this area changes frequently. Answers are believed to be correct as of the posting dates shown. The completeness or accuracy of a particular answer may be affected by changes in the law (statutes, regulations, rulings, court decisions, etc.) that occur after the date on which a particular Q&A is posted.


Copyright 1999-2017 S. Derrin Watson
Related links:

(restricted access)

(restricted access)

© 2021 BenefitsLink.com, Inc.