BenefitsLink.com logo   

BenefitsLink
Message Boards Digest

August 30, 2022

Here are the most recently added topics on the BenefitsLink Message Boards:

EBECatty created a topic in 401(k) Plans

Attribution of Son-in-Law's Ownership Interest in Another Employer

"Would appreciate a quick sanity check here: Mother owns 70% of Corp A. Mother has an adult daughter, who is married to son-in-law. Son-in-law owns the other 30% of Corp A. Son-in-law also owns 100% of Corp B. (Assume no other attribution aside from family, no excluded interests, no ASG, no management group, not a community property state.)

Under 1563, I believe that mother will not be deemed to own any stock in Corp B. Daughter would be deemed to own all 100% of son-in-law's stock in Corp B, but because daughter is an adult, and mother does not own >50% of Corp B, mother is not deemed to own daughter's (attributed) stock in Corp B. Also, the prohibition on double-attribution among family members would cut off deemed ownership of those shares with daughter (i.e., once they are attributed from son-in-law to daughter by spousal attribution, they cannot be attributed again to mother, even if mother did own >50% of Corp B).

Likewise, as an adult, daughter would not be deemed to own mother's shares in Corp A because daughter does not own >50% of Corp A's shares.

Because mother owns >50% of Corp A, she would be deemed to own any shares in Corp A owned by daughter directly (zero); however, the double-attribution rule would prevent attribution from son-in-law to wife to mother, so mother would not be deemed to own son-in-law's 30% in Corp A.

I think I'm left with:

Corp A: 70% mother; 30% son-in-law; same 30% daughter through spousal attribution

Corp B: 100% son-in-law; same 100% daughter through spousal attribution; 0% mother

This leaves only 30% common ownership, which clearly avoids a controlled group. Agree?"

2 replies so far   |    Click Here to Add a Reply

Dobber created a topic in 401(k) Plans

Vesting Schedule Moved from 100% to Graded When Solo 401(k) Amended to SH 401(k)

"Sole proprietor established a Solo 401k a few years ago. All was well because he had no employees. In February 2021, a FT employee was hired. Unfortunately the plan had both immediate eligibility and vesting in profit sharing contributions. In May 2021, the owner amended the plan to be a safe harbor 401k and added a vesting schedule for profit sharing contributions with an effective date of 1/1/2021. Since then, the sole full-time employee has severed employment. Is the former employee fully vested?"

3 replies so far   |    Click Here to Add a Reply

Here are the most recently posted jobs on EmployeeBenefitsJobs.com, a service of BenefitsLink:

View job as Retirement Plan Administrative Specialist

Retirement Plan Administrative Specialist  View details

Mueller Financial Services
Elgin IL / Chicago IL / Orland Park IL

View job as ERISA Associate

ERISA Associate  View details

Sherman & Howard
Denver CO

View job as Implementations Relationship Manager

Implementations Relationship Manager  View details

Vestwell
Remote / New York NY

►View More Jobs

►Post a Job

►Get Instant Job Alerts

BenefitsLink.com, Inc.
56 Creeksong Road
Whittier NC 28789
(407) 644-4146

Lois Baker, J.D., President
David Rhett Baker, J.D., Editor and Publisher
Holly Horton, Business Manager

Copyright 2022 BenefitsLink.com, Inc. All materials contained in this mailing are protected by United States copyright law and may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcast without the prior written permission of BenefitsLink.com, Inc., or in the case of third party materials, the owner of those materials. You may not alter or remove any trademark, copyright or other notices from copies of the content.

Links to web sites other than BenefitsLink.com and EmployeeBenefitsJobs.com are offered as a service to our readers; we were not involved in their production and are not responsible for their content.

Unsubscribe | Privacy Policy