Jump to content

Cash out of vested benefit

Guest RMc

Recommended Posts

I would like to find out if anyone knows a way to force my former employer to settle my vested pension benefit in a lump sum cash payment. I am 41 years old, have a vested pension with Southwestern Bell Telephone after 18 years of service that I can start drawing on only at age 65. I would like a cash payment option so that I may take control of my pension and invest as I choose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


There's a lot of us out here in the same boat. Not a thing you can do that I know of, especially if your money is in a defined benefit pension plan, which it sounds like yours is.

These plans have the option of doing lump-sum distributions, but don't have to. Most I've seen don't, because it increases the actuarial cost of the plan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...