Implementing HRA Mid-Year

Guest PBJ

Employer is switching from a regular health plan design (high premium but a smaller deductible) to a High Deductible Health Plan and an HRA effective June 1, 2008. The rest is somewhat confusing because I keep hearing "terms of art" that I do not think really apply. So please bear with me.

Prior medical plan has a $100 p/person deductible. Plan Change is effective June 1st Medical Plan Deductible is $2000. HRA Plan is the employee must pay $200/person first, then the employer will pay the remaining $1800 at 100%. The question is: We know that deductible satisfied under medical plan will carry over to satisfy a higher deductible under the medical plan due to a plan change. But can any deductible satisfied under the medical plan by the employee prior to June 1st be credited toward satisfying the HRA deductible ($200)?

Clearly, this is very confusing. First, I thought that HRA is Employer Only. However, I think the idea is that the employee must spend $200 before the employer will reimburse. How do you work that in mid-year?

And, I thought that the HRA could not reimburse expenses that were incurred prior to the time it was in existence.

??

Any thoughts ??

??

But can any deductible satisfied under the medical plan by the employee prior to June 1st be credited toward satisfying the HRA deductible ($200)?

If the HRA is written that way, yes.

I thought that HRA is Employer Only. However, I think the idea is that the employee must spend $200 before the employer will reimburse. How do you work that in mid-year?

HRA must be ER only dollars. EE dollars can only be involved on a tax-free basis if the IRC 125 is met with regards to the EEs' elections, and the use it or lose it rule applies--then it would actually be a health flex account.

What you describe is a $200/year HRA deductible. An EE's payment of the first $200. The dollars that the EE would be paying that $200/deductible would not be tax free (though would count towards Schedule A itemization, subject to the 7.5% of AGI threshold). Only the ER dollars that would be paid per the HRA for medical expenses in excess of the $200/year would be tax-free.

To work that in mid-year, the HRA could provide either (a) that the expenses incurred from January 1-May 31 under the old plan be credited to the employee towards the $200 deductible for 2008, or (b) prorate the $200 annual deductible by 7/12's and not give any credit for the January 1-May 31 expenses.

And, I thought that the HRA could not reimburse expenses that were incurred prior to the time it was in existence.

You're right. But either way you handle the new HRA's $200/deductible for 2008 (#(a) or #(b) above), that's not reimbursing expenses incurred before the HRA exists. It is a condition for reimbursement of an expense incurred after the HRA comes into existence.

John Simmons

johnsimmonslaw@gmail.com

Note to Readers: For you, I'm a stranger posting on a bulletin board. Posts here should not be given the same weight as personalized advice from a professional who knows or can learn all the facts of your situation.