Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

A new one for me

Client has an existing fully funded DB plan.

For 2022, I was told that the schedule c income would be 60k.

Suggested a new 401k set up for 2022. Did so and deposited full deferral prior to 12/31/2022.

I just got the net c and it is $600 (thankfully db has no required contribution).

So, now have a 27k deposit as of 12/31/2022 but no income to support it.

What to do?

QKA, QKC, QPA, CBS - I used to be indecisive about pensions but now I am not so sure

Posted

Argue "mistake of fact" under Rev. Rul. 91-4 interpreting ERISA Section 403(c)(2)(A): The schedule C income was calculated incorrectly (i.e., there was a mathematical error) which caused the 27K contribution in error. Return the 27k minus the $600 (or whatever amount they can defer from compensation under the plan). Need more facts to paint a full picture, but this would be my first line of defense.

 

B. Parvarandeh 

legalbp@gmail.com

 

Posted

Thank you but will use it as last line of defense and after giving the client the option.

QKA, QKC, QPA, CBS - I used to be indecisive about pensions but now I am not so sure

Posted

Yes, all but $600 is an annual addition in excess of the section 415(c) limitation.  Rev. Proc. 2021-30, Appendix A.08, provides that an excess annual addition caused by elective deferrals can be corrected by refunding the excess, adjusted for attributable income.  There's no need for a "mistake of fact" argument.

Tom Veal

ERISA Cavalry PLLC

www.ERISACavalry.com

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...